Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Mass Storage Not working

• Please log in to reply

lesbanguy

lesbanguy

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok I have WinXP and I have purchased a USB HD Enclosure. I have a 20GB drive that I purchased as well and put in it. Windows setup and installed the enclosure and the drive but they don't show up in My Computer, but they show up in the device manager and under Add Hardware in CP. Its a plug and play with NO drivers what so ever.

Advertisements

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
Do me a favor. Make sure that the USB drive is attached.

Right click on My computer and select Manage. That will bring up the Computer Management window.

Expand Storage and select Disk Management.

You should get a list of Disks called "Disk 0", "Disk 1", "CD-ROM 1", etc.

Look at the drive letters every drive had been assigned. (I've attached a picture to show you where to look). Make sure that none of the drives have the same letter.

Check this out and get back to me.

Attached Files

lesbanguy

lesbanguy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes it shows up there. There is no letter assigned as you can see in the image I posted. I tried to go into properties on each of the blank entries but it doesn't allow me to change anything, they are simply just there. BTW this drive was purchased used and verified working, I just have to reformat it but cant do that unless it shows. I have partition Magic 8 incase that would help as well.

Attached Thumbnails

• image1.JPG

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Yes it shows up there.  There is no letter assigned as you can see in the image I posted.  I tried to go into properties on each of the blank entries but it doesn't allow me to change anything, they are simply just there.  BTW this drive was purchased used and verified working, I just have to reformat it but cant do that unless it shows.  I have partition Magic 8 incase that would help as well.

View Post

It won't be available in windows and no drive letter will be assigned until it's formatted.

lesbanguy

lesbanguy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
So does this this mean that I have to remove the drive from the enclosure and install it in my own computer and format it like that? If this can be done otherwise I would be for that because right now my computer is backing up onto my linux computer.

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
I'm assuming that it's Disk 1 in your picture (the one at 19.1 GB).

You can format the drive in the console you were just at. I'd just right click on the 18.32 GB Healthy "unknown partition" and select Format.

As long as you're sure that there's nothing you want/need on the USB drive, it should format it for you.

I'm not sure what the other two partitions are there for, so let's leave those alone.

See if that gives you what you want...

lesbanguy

lesbanguy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok it seems linux was installed on this disc and the 3 partitions on it are /boot, /, and swap file. I deleted all 3 of them and assigned it letter F and NTFS format, I'm assuming this is ok, so I'm going to let it finish formating and I'll post back if I have a problem. Thanks for the help.

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
Sounds good.

lesbanguy

lesbanguy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Problem solved no help needed anymore Thanks guys.

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
Great. Glad we could help. :tazz: