Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

winxp and win98 network

• Please log in to reply

fay47

fay47

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
I am trying to set up a small home network. This is the first time I have tried to do any networking.

One computer is win xp pro the other computer is win 98. I am connecting thru a cable modem and router.

I have been able to get most things to work, but I have not been able to set up user-level access on the win-98 computer.

I ran the network setup wizard on the win xp computer and had it create the disk to run on win 98. I used the created setup disk to setup the network on the win98 machine.

Both machines can use the internet. On each machine I can ping the other machine.

I have 2 hard dives on the win xp machine - one using NTFS and one using FAT32. I can set each up for sharing, go to the win 98 machine - map them as network drives and read each of the drives.

I have a printer connected to the win xp machine but not the win98 machine. On the win xp machine - I shared a printer. I was able to go to the win 98 machine - add a network printer, select print for a file, and select the shared printer. The file printed ok to the printer.

Trouble came when I tried to set up a win98 drive for sharing. On the win98 machine I had the newtwork setup to use user-level access. When I went to the Network and selected Access Control - with user level access cotnrol selected - in the box for Obtain list of users and gruops from - I tried with the name of the win98 machine and also tried with the name of the win xp machine.
Either way I get the below error mesage:
"You can not view the list of users at this time. Please try again later".

On the win98 machine, if I set the access conrol to share-level access control - I can then share a drive on the 98 machine, map it on the XP machine and read it.

So, I have been able to get most things to work - except I would prefer to use user-level access instead of share-level access. (Mainly just trying to figure out how things work.).

Can anyone tell me what the problem is with the User-Level Access?

Thanks, Fay

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
To use user level access you need a domain server on your network. I haven't configured any domain servers, so I can't tell you how it's done, or even whether you could use of of your two machines for that purpose. The domain server stores the network usernames and passwords which is what is trying to be accessed during setup. Were I to do it I would Google for "domain server configuration". You would probably need to add services and protocols to the machine acting as domain server, so you would need an installation disk.

fay47

fay47

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
I did a google search and found some inforamtion. After looking at it briefly, I decided to put this aside for now and just use the Share level method. I may try to come back to this later when I have more time to try to figure it out.

Thanks for the inforamtion.

Fay