Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer Freezing [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Did you install any new software or hardware before this happened?

Go to Start->Run and type in sfc /scannow and hit OK. Let it scan. If it finds any files missing/corrupted, it may ask for the Windows CD.

Advertisements

savedbygrace

savedbygrace

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
No, I didn't.

I tried to do the start, run, sfc/scannow but I got this message:

Windows cannot find 'sfc/scannow'. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again. To search for a file click the start button and then click search.

So, it wouldn't run the scan. :tazz:

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Make sure that there's a space between sfc and /scannow.

savedbygrace

savedbygrace

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Okay, I did the scan. No corrupted files were found. What's next?

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
We'll have to troubleshoot this one step at a time I guess. It's might hardware related, so let's check the memory/ram first:

Download the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool and install it on a blank floppy disk. Restart your computer and insert the floppy. If necessary, change your bios to boot from the floppy drive first. Let it load from the floppy and run the memory test for about 15 minutes. If no errors show up, you may exit the program and take out the floppy.

savedbygrace

savedbygrace

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
How do I reboot the computer from my A drive? How do I change the bios? I'm not familiar with this.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
See if your screen mentions anything like Hit F2 to enter setup/bios.... Somewhere along those lines. If you see that, hit the key that it asks you to hit and it should bring you into the BIOS. When you're in there, be careful not to touch anything else. Just look for Boot Sequence (or sometimes called Startup Sequence) and move the floppy drive to the very first/top spot. Exit and save the changes. Insert that floppy disk now.

savedbygrace

savedbygrace

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I'm sorry. I don't quite understand. I pressed F2 while on my desktop and nothing happened. I tried pressing F2 upon rebooting the computer and nothing happend. Can I open the disc by just clicking on My Computer and then clicking on the A Drive? OR do I have to reboot with the A Drive? If I have to reboot by using the A Drive, then could you provide me with step-by-step instructions as to how to do that? If this gets to be a nuisance let me know and I can just take it to the shop. I'm just about ready to give up, lol. :tazz:

Now, when I click on my Windows Explorer icon to log into my internet, it says page not found. Then I close the browser and click on the icon again and it loads real slow and finally pulls up the internet. This problem is getting worse, whatever it is.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Does the screen tell you to press F2 to enter setup? I was just giving that as an example, so it may be totally different on your computer. Try F1 also. It should tell you what key to press though on the screen...this is before it even enters Windows.

You can't run from the A: drive itself. You must boot off from it before it gets to Windows logon.

There really is no step by step instruction that I can give you. This part is all on your side since I can't see your screen. It will usually say Press .....some key will be listed here.... to enter bios/setup.

If you want to take it to a shop you may. But I think what they will be doing is just reinstalling your whole Windows Operating System...

savedbygrace

savedbygrace

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Go ahead and close this out. We have a family emergency situation going on and I'm not going to be able to have time to work on this. I'll just take my computer in for repair. Thank you very much for your time. I sent you a donation via Paypal. I really appreciate your time.

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.