Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows and Buttons

• Please log in to reply

rochdale white

rochdale white

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Since getting rid of Aurora thanks to this site (for which i am eternally grateful!) i have lost my windows XP buttons and am stuck with windows classic. i have tried chanigng them back on the desktop properties but they have just disappeared!!! call me a man of habit but i am finding it hard to get used to! is there anyway i can manage to get my windows xp buttons back?

thanks in advance! :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue bar, reboot when the bar goes

rochdale white

rochdale white

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
thanks keith! however i ve spent all day looking high and low for my xp cd and it can not be found! are there any other ways, or should i borrow someone elses?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can borrow the same version disc to do this, as you are only replacing system files

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Have you tried changing the theme back to XP Style instead of classic in display properties? If you have and it didn't work or XP Style doesn't show, then go here and download resources.zip

Make sure you when extract it, the destination is c:\Windows.
(where c: is the partition where XP is installed).
Go to Display Properties and XP stlye will be back.

Edited by Fenor, 10 September 2005 - 03:28 PM.

rochdale white

rochdale white

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
cheers fena!!! worked perectly! :tazz:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glad to hear it! :) :tazz: