Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

internet connection wont be its best

• Please log in to reply

nettoon1991

nettoon1991

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
when i try to connect to the internet using my 56k modem it disconnects to the internet before it connects. is it my computer, i am running windows xp pro sp1 and sometimes when it connects it goes to speed like 43kbps and right now i am on 34 kbps, and it takes forever to load the page do i need a new modem or can i fix this one?

Edited by nettoon1991, 09 September 2005 - 06:19 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download the trial of tune up here

http://www.tune-up.com

Run disc clean up then registry clean up

Click optimize then run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

After the reboot, run tune up, click optimize then system optimization, run optimize my computer, which needs a reboot, after the reboot, click optimize, system optimization, then run accelerate downloads, choose the appropriate speed for your connection, this needs a reboot

After the reboot, type line speed into your web browser search and select a speed test for your location, bookmark the page, then run a number of speed tests at different times, make sure to run disc clean up in between so you avoid using the browser cache

You can expect lower speeds at busy times as this is due to the contention ratio of your ISP

nettoon1991

nettoon1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
thank you :tazz:

nettoon1991

nettoon1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
um ok my computer was working for about a week then now it started to do it again :tazz: are there any other ways i can fix this? i tryed almost everything now..

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Call your ISP or upgrade to broadband. I'm not trying to be a smart alec, but you are getting "normal" download speed for a dial up connection. The speed will vary proportionately to the load on the server. What "56K" modem means is: "If every condition is optimal, the most you will get out of this modem is 56Kbs."

Johanna