Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard drive Support

• Please log in to reply

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Hey guys, anyone got a rough idea of how big a hard disk a pentium 3 computer can support?

Im setting up (several) server systems, right now all i have is a mono pentium 3 with a cd rom and 1 20 gig hard disk, i want to give the P3 alot of storage (IDE) as it will be housing alot of stuff.
Itll be the http for both a charity website and an opensource Linux distro site, and it will also be used as FTP for linux ISO's and itll be on the gnutella network sharing legit files, as well as allowing people anonymous access on gnutella.

Soon itll be joined by a Athlon XP 2800+ with SATA drives and an old xeon server computer using scsi i think.

Thanks dudes.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Can't say for sure what the capacity limit will be cuz it depends on the bios not the actual CPU obviously. I would hazard a guess at either 64GB or 128GB if your very lucky. The absolute max will be 128GB because beyond that the bios needs to support 48bit addressing, which a P3 motherboard won't do. I suspect it may well 64GB. If you want to know for sure, I suggest you find out the motherboard model & bios revision (use everest or similar if you have trouble locating this info on the board : http://majorgeeks.co...tion_d4181.html )

Once you know what board you have, just go to the manufacturers website & look up the specs for it.

If the max drive size does turn out to be smaller than you wanted, you can probably use a larger drive than the bios supports if you use it with overlay software

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It's not the processor that determines drive support, it's the BIOS on the motherboard. Look on the mobo for the mfrs. name and the model number and go to the web site, if it's a good board, you'll find the manual and you can see if there are any BIOS upgrades for it. Thet can do things like increase the drive support, allow for faster processors, or more overclocking, increase the FSB clock.

Tell us what mobo you have and what model of machine it's in?

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
overlay software eh? *raises eyebrow*

Ok, ill let yall know how it turns out tomorrow, thers a 4 ton monitor sitting on it i cant move because the GF is sleeping.

just thought of something else. Could i use SATA drives on a SATA PCI card? (i can see this being a problem however, as i want to use linux for all of the systems)

Edited by comanighttrain, 09 September 2005 - 06:57 PM.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
N1996
MS-6318 Ver:5

Also, i can get a SATA card and use sata drives

Im looking to see what i can find, If anyone knows please post it:) thanks
be serving you all soon
Dave

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Here's the download for the manual for your mob.

http://211.20.189.50...?UID=282&kind=1

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
cheers man, i found it earlier too, problem is it makes no hint as to the max size of hdd it can support.

hrmm, i dont think ill risk it, ill just try and get a support SATA card and use SATA drives. I believe SATA can be any size regardless of Bios.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I'm thinking that your little off white box won't be up to doing too much and you shuld limit it to one of those tasks. You'll find that the server with Xeons and multiple scsi drives will run rings around it, especially if you distribute the files among the drives so that the access times will be shorter.

One big ticket item here is what kind of connection do you have? The little PC would just about handle a dsl/adsl OK, but anything faster would need the faster machine. It would probably do OK just serving the pages for the charity website, and the HDD you have is plenty big enough for that.

You could set the Athlon up for Gnutella pretty easily and use the big server for the Linux distros, both http and ftp.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
hrmm...your right...the xeon will be pretty old but it will have scsi disks.
The little box does have good performance, but right now the main choke point will actually be the ASDL connection.