Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

RAM Timings

• Please log in to reply

WoKeN

WoKeN

• Pip
  • 8 posts
hey i just got some new OCZ 2(2x1) dual channel sticks of ram. The advertised latency timings are 2.5-3-2-5. Now my question is if the 2 is for the SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay catagory or is it for the SD RAM Ras precharge Delay Catagory?

Also I hear people have their timings to "2.5-3-2-5 @1T" What do they mean when they mention 1T? I wasn't quite sure what that stood for.

And if anyone has an ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe Mother board like i do. Could anyone tell me if I am indeed using the dual channel feature for my ram? I'm not really sure weither or not if it's enabled as i'm using my ram. In my mother board i have DIMM Slots for max capacity of 3gigs of ram. I put my dual channel OCZ (1gig each stick) in slot 1 and 3, and my old 512 kingston stick in slot 2 (in the middle of the other 2 sticks). My computer isn't reading that I have 2560 ram, It's only reading that I have 2048 (2gigs). But shouldn't it be reading as 2560 ram if I added the 512 stick in the middle along with the other 2 sticks of 1 gig each?

Anyways, any help is much appreciated.

Edited by WoKeN, 10 September 2005 - 03:16 AM.

Advertisements

biyectivo

biyectivo

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Download and install Everest here. It will both tell you the total amount of RAM you have, the timings and descriptions, and whether your RAM is running in dual-channel mode or not.

Be advised though, most motherboards require identical RAM sticks in order to run in dual-channel mode. Review your motherboard documentation on dual-channel setups.

The most common order for memory timings is:

CAS-RCD-RP-TRAS @ Timing

1T and 2T are the memory controller timings. As far as I know only nForce chipsets handle 1T effectively. 1T will reduce your memory latency a bit.

Finally if you want to read something about memory timings try here.