Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Data Execution Prevention

• Please log in to reply

thecat23

thecat23

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
hi, can anyone help me here, plz!
i just got this new sn25p shuttle, firstly after i install windows xp pro sp2 onto it, i got some error called DrWatson Postmortem Debugger, i didn't know how to deal with it, so i format the c driver, it seems i got rid of this problem, but now i frequently have a small window pop says Data Execution Prevention, in order to pretect your computer, we need Run a DLL as an App, the system dsable me from using anything, even i try 2 run a application, the system close it for me, that's really made me feel hopeless, please help me if you can, big thanks!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose SETTINGS under PERFORMANCE and then choose DATA EXECUTION PREVENTION tab--what do you see?

thecat23

thecat23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I went to controller panel -> System -> Advance -> Data Exception Prevention:
There are two options:
1. Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only.
2. Turn on Dep for all programs and servieces except those i select.

i have tick pretty much every applications i using, but sometimes when i try to access to registry edit or controller panel or service.msc or my computer those basic system managerment, the same problem jump out and block me, it's really annoying when a in middle of something important, i have to restart, but after a while, the problem happens again. please help me, i really hate DEP now, it dosen't help me get rid of virus at all but troubles! thanks for you reply!