Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive problem

• Please log in to reply

sslash

sslash

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i have a 80gb hard drive that has worked fine for about the last 2 or 3 years, one day last week it just decided not to show up on my desktop (i could still run windows as i had another hard drive form my C: ) and it would crash every now and again resulting in the blue screem, every now and again i could see the hard drive by restarting my computer but a lot of the time i would get the blue screen when trying to access it or move files from it (but managed to recover some important files while doing so) , then when i unplugged my hard drive from the inside taking out the data and power cable and my system became more stable, when i plugged my hard drive back in no drives were recognised (in BIOS), not my 2 cd drives or my hard drive containing C: , but they would come back if i unplugged the bad hard drive again.

ive looked everywhere for a solution to this but i have come up empty handed
is there anyway i could recover these files from my bad hard drive?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
It would seem that your hard drive has died :tazz: Nothing you can really do except buy a new one I'm afraid.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

I agree your drive probably is dead but before giving up on it completely, try checking the configuration :

If said you have 2 hard drives & 2 optical drives. The first hard drive (C:) should be on the primary IDE controller as a Master. After that, the 2 optical drives should both be on the secondary controller, as Master & Slave (or both set to Cable Select CS), right?

With the second hard drive disconnected, go into the bios & just double check that the first H/D & CD drives are configured as described above.

If so, then I second hard drive must be the primary slave. Make sure it is jumpered on the rear of the drive to be a slave & that it connects to the middle of the IDE ribbon cable. The primary Master (C:) drive must be on the end of the cable.

If your drives are not configured as I have described, let me know.
If they are as i described & the second drive stills causes the same problem with hard drive detection in the bios, let me know.

sslash

sslash

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
all drives as you have said yet i still get a problem, i have even tried switching between slave and cable select and nothing has changed

fungit

fungit

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi,

have you tried connecting the hard drive without using the jumper pin to set it as slave, master or cable select i.e. jumperless.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
In that case, try disconnecting all the drives & cdroms. Disconnect the secondary controller cable from the motherboard. Jumper the dodgy hard drive to be a master & connect it on its own to the end of the primary controller cable.

You may want to clear the bios as well first.

If the bios still won't recognise the drive, then I would give up on it.