Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Quick Launch Explore

• Please log in to reply

jktii

jktii

• Pip
  • 6 posts
How do I get an Explore Icon in the Quick Launch Toolbar?

I know I can get it by right clicking on the Start Button and then selecting "Explore", but that takes a while. Is there a way to have a Quick Launch button for this?

Also, when I launch Explore, it always goes to 'Documents and settings/Startmenu" folder, it there a way to change the default location it starts in?

Advertisements

FreddieKrugerGuy

FreddieKrugerGuy

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Hi, I'm Freddie.

You can only get quick launch icons for programs. The explore feature in Windows isn't exactly a program.

Freddie

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Right click on anything in the start menu and choose "send to: desktop". Drag it from the desktop to the Quick Launch.

To customize where in the file tree WE opens see:
http://support.micro...b;en-us;q307856

Johanna

jktii

jktii

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Responding to both of the above...

I know Explore isn't exactly a program, but there is a way to get an Icon on the Quick Launch bar that will start it. I've done it before on another computer, just can't remember how I did it.

As for right clicking on anything in the Start Menu... that works on stuff thats in the Start Menu, but not on the right clicked stuff of the start menu. At least not for me.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
"Explore" is Windows Explorer. Right click on it from Start> Accessories and send it to the desktop. Then drag it to QL. Right click, choose properties and modify the path to where you want it to open. Repeat as many diff ways as you want shortcuts for. Screencap is my shortcut to my data drive, D on my system. The shortcut is the closest icon in QL to the start.

Johanna

Attached Thumbnails

• ScreenShot013.jpg

jktii

jktii

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks Czarina, that worked on getting the Icon onto the Quick Launch Bar, but I'm still having trouble getting it to open at the Root (C:\). I put just that in the "Start In" box, but it still opens in "My Documents". Any ideas on how to fix this.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n,/e,c:\

Right clickon icon> properties> shortcut >put the above in the target line.

Johanna