Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Web Host/ Designer

• Please log in to reply

logan11

logan11

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Hi, my name is Justin and I'm from a band called Crimson Red Regret. We've been around for almost 3 months and have gotten an amazing response to our music. We are ready to move out of Myspace into a permanent home.

We are looking for a host and a designer to design a page for us, for at the moment, no cost. We WILL pay you when we start our paying gigs in a few months.

If anyone has a template or something they want to show us, feel free to leave a link here or email me at [email protected].

If you happen to be starting up a web design company, I feel this is a great opportunity as we have over 5,000 unique page hits on MySpace, and most of those people come back daily to listen to the music. All credits on the page will go to you and you can put links the company whereever you feel like it.

So off of my rant :tazz:, I hope to work with a talented individual in creating a permanant home for our internet based community.

logan11

Advertisements

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Hi there,

My friend louis owns his own webhosting company. http://www.starlinkuk.co.uk

Have a look on there at his prices and they are expensive.

But email him telling him what space and bandwidth and email addresses you need etc and he will make up a little affordable monthly price for you to pay to host your website. He will also make it for you! His email address can be found on his website and when you email him, say at the bottom that andrew johnson told you about this. ( if you dont say that i dont think he will do hosting for you ).

Anyway, let me know how you get on??? :tazz:

logan11

logan11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
At this point, I think that's actually more than we're looking for. Basically what we're looking for is a spot for music uploads we can let viewers stream and no ads.

And permission to do pay-per-click advertising, as that's how we will most likely pay for it.

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Well try emailing louis and tell him that you just want to pay for it with advertising and just want to let visitors listen to music.

He might be able to do something. :tazz:

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
I think most webhosts allow paid advertising, even the free ones! So I don't think you really need to worry about that :) but, music takes up lots of space and tons of bandwidth. You said that your old page has had 5000 unique visitors, and if each person listened to a few songs, the bandwidth add up to...well..a lot, for the lack of a better word :tazz: if you go over the bandwidth limit for your hosting plan, it'll get extremely expensive.

Anyways, I'm not an expert on web hosts, but I'm pretty sure you'd need a lot of bandwidth to have streaming music available. Check out Host Affection's executive plan. Pretty good deal to me :)

About the actual website, I could do the web design for you if you like. My website is here and my portfolio here. Also, could you please post your old site's address?

logan11

logan11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
we dont really have an old site... just www.myspace.com/crimsonredregret that we used for a bit, and www.crimsonredregret.i8.com that we built about 3 days ago.

*EDIT*

<3 Mr Brightside :-P

Edited by logan11, 11 September 2005 - 06:27 PM.

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
You know what, the site doesn't actually have a lot of pages, so I think the starter plan would be better for it. Although, if your site is already hosted by i8.com why are you looking for a new host? :tazz:

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
hey logan11, just wanted to know if you're still looking for a web designer? :tazz:

Starius

Starius

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
ok i reccomend a hosting service called http://www.hosting.com/ i have used them before they have good bandwidth and good space for your stuff or if they dont have what your looking for try http://50megs.com/ anyways i am a beggining web designer i helped design my church's youth page and i am willing to work with you for the design,theme etc anything you want on your website ill design it and put it on for you

logan11

logan11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Sorry everyone having major computer issues.

Yes we are still looking. We want more stuff on the site than we have. We would really like a website that doesn't end in .i8 or something similiar.

Advertisements

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
The website name is really not related to the hosting. To get your own domain name, such as www.name.com, (instead of name.i8.com which is a subdomain), go to godaddy.com and register it.

It's $8.95 per year for .com addresses on a 1-3 year contract. If you sign up for 5 years, it's only $7.25 per year. There are probably also going to be some taxes or some small fees that they don't write on the page :tazz: you know how companies are...

Anyways, I used their domain checker, www.crimsonredregret.com and www.crimson-red-regret.com are both available.

I realize that the site's content will grow, but 300mb (the starter plan) should be enough for at least the first year. I just realized that i8.com is actually hosted by 50megs.com, in that case 300mb should be more than enough if you could fit your site in 50mb. Plus, you could always upgrade the next year.

There is another option, you could find a site that will host domains for free, but most of the time, these sites don't have a lot of options and you may not be able to upload certain filetypes such as .mp3 .wma and or media files.

Alright, let me know your decision on the web designer, I'd like to work with you...or work for you actually... :)

logan11

logan11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Ya, I did realise all that and I quess I forgot to mention the last part.

We want someone who can host, design, and update for us.

Maybe once a week we could e-mail them shows, updates, pics, etc. to add to the site. That's why we want to work with someone, and not a large company.

And to me, it's just that much easier to get 1 person to host, design, and run the website. I also feel that if we're paying someone personally, they'll do a better job :tazz:

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
It's really hard to find one person that can host a website, that person would have to have a server at home and in most cases they would not offer any hosting services.

The ones that do offer are small webhosting companies (I suppose this is what you want?) but you'd be overpaying by a ton. Their servers would also be lacking in quality to large companies, which would result in lots more downtime, and slow transfer. Also, they would not be offering web design services (I mean, web designers don't offer hosting services, so it's not likely that hosting companies large or small, would offer designing services). There aren't any people that will register a domain for you, you'd have to register through godaddy or other large companies as you would say.

As far as I know, what you're requesting can be done with the same results whether the person hosts your site or not. If I had a hosting company (which I don't) and you paid me personally, I would not give you a better deal on hosting... As for the designing and updating, you can do that with whatever/whoever hosting, hostig doesn't affect the design and update.

OK, I just reviewed your older posts, and I finally realized that what you want is free domain register, free domain hosting, free designing, and updating, for now. You'll never get someone to register and host your domain for free unless its a friend of yours or an extremely nice (and stupid) person. Some people will host your domain if you register it yourself, but their hosting will most likely still be hosted by another company. I think this is about the closest you can get to a person hosting yoursite on their server.

Starius

Starius

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
i can design and update i cant host would take up too much bandwidth

logan11

logan11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Actually, I found someone who works witht he G2G hosting company, and I think we're going to hire him to do everything since the company he runs can host through geeks to go (for very cheap I might add), and hes a web designer.. so ya :tazz: