Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New RAM problem

• Please log in to reply

Jamief

Jamief

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have just upgraded my RAM to 1GB i know my motherboard can take upto 3GB, I have 2x256mb and 1x512mb. When i try to boot up my computer the screen just goes blank after BIOS load, then when i reboot it asks whether i want to go to safe mode etc.. when i try to go to normal mode, it goes black again, when i try to goto safe mode it gets stuck on mup.sys.. What do you think the problem is?

Thank You,
Jamie

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

A few possibilities come to mind :

1. The new ram module (I assume this is the 512MB, right?) is incompatible with your original ram
2. The new module is incompatible with the motherboard
3. The new module (or socket) is faulty
4. The ram is incorrectly configured
5. You're running win9x on this system (although this doesn't appear to be true in your case, as mup.sys is a XP/2000 file)

If I were you, I would try the following things:

Remove the new module & make sure the system still boots OK with just the original ram installed

Remove the old ram & try booting the system with just the new ram

Run memtest86 to check for ram faults :
http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Download the 'pre-compiled package for floppy(DOS/win)' version. This will create a bootable floppy disk with memtest on & is therefore independent of the systems OS.

Can you let us know the following system specs as well:
motherboard make/model
RAM type & speed of each ram module
If you don't know these, you can use everest to find out :
http://majorgeeks.co...tion_d4181.html