Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with AOL, MS Works, Norton Antivirus

• Please log in to reply

CurlyQOSU

CurlyQOSU

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I am trying to fix problems with software on two different computers that belong to my mother.

One computer is running Windows 98 and I recently removed several viruses from it. The viruses are gone but it seems that as a result of some of the files that were damaged some programs won't work. AOL will open but several seconds later it closes with an message saying "unknown error". MS Works will not open at all. I tried uninstalling all versions of AOL and reinstalling it from a CD but the same thing happened again. I cannot get MS Works to uninstall at all and the CD won't let me install a new copy of it without removing the old one. The files that Norton removed because they were infected with viruses were windows\system\xmconfig.exe and c:\msdirectx.sys. Also, when the computer is started, a message comes up saying it cannot find a device file needed to run Windows or a Windows application. It says that the Windows registry or system.ini file refers to this device file but the device file no longer exists. It says to try reinstalling the application to replace the missing file and the name of the file is symtdi.vxd. Are these files needed to run AOL or MS Works and if so how can I replace them? If not do you have any other ideas about how to fix the programs if reinstalling them doesn't help or doesn't work?

On the other computer, which is running Windows XP, we just got it back from Gateway because they were fixing the Windows Media Center (it is a Media Center PC) When we got it back, we bought a new subscription to Norton Antivirus 2005 and it installed but wouldn't open. I borrowed an Antivirus 2003 CD from a friend and installed that instead but it still won't open. Liveupdate works and I can open quarantine, but if you click on the actual Antivirus program nothing happens.

Advertisements