Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screen errors

• Please log in to reply

beiss

beiss

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

I am getting a bunch of blue screen errors but the most frequent is:

VMM(01) + 000127D7 ERROR: OD: 0028: C00137D7

My norton virus scan will not run to completion so I ran an online scan which came up empty. I also cannot run an ad-aware scan to completion without getting errors.

A Hijack this log file is below if it helps.

Thanks for any help.

Dennis Beisswanger

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 7:09:29 PM, on 12/19/2004
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SSDPSRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON INTERNET SECURITY\NISSERV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON INTERNET SECURITY\NISUM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RPCSS.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON INTERNET SECURITY\SYMPROXYSVC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HIDSERV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT HARDWARE\KEYBOARD\TYPE32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\BILLP STUDIOS\WINPATROL\WINPATROL.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\NAVAPW32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON INTERNET SECURITY\IAMAPP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON INTERNET SECURITY\ATRACK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETSCAPE\NETSCAPE 6\NETSCP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\TEMP\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Hidserv] Hidserv.exe run
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliType] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Keyboard\type32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinPatrol] C:\PROGRAM FILES\BILLP STUDIOS\WINPATROL\winpatrol.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV Agent] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVAPW32.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iamapp] C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\IAMAPP.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SSDPSRV] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ssdpsrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [nisserv] C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISSERV.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Define - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_DEF.HTM
O9 - Extra button: Encarta Encyclopedia - {2FDEF853-0759-11D4-A92E-006097DBED37} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_ENC.HTM
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Encarta Encyclopedia - {2FDEF853-0759-11D4-A92E-006097DBED37} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_ENC.HTM
O9 - Extra button: Define - {5DA9DE80-097A-11D4-A92E-006097DBED37} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_DEF.HTM
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Define - {5DA9DE80-097A-11D4-A92E-006097DBED37} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_DEF.HTM
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
O12 - Plugin for .mid: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\npqtplugin.dll
O12 - Plugin for .wav: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\npqtplugin.dll
O12 - Plugin for .mov: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\npqtplugin.dll
O12 - Plugin for .au: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\npqtplugin.dll
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.syma...n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.syma...bin/AvSniff.cab

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Your log looks clean.

You can try this:

To reset your restore points, please note that you will need to log into your computer with an account which has full administrator access. You will know if the account has administrator access because you will be able to see the System Restore tab. If the tab is missing, you are logged in under a limited account.

1. Turn off System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

2. Reboot.

Download the latest version of Ad-Aware from here (if you already have Ad-Aware installed, make sure that it is the latest version and always go online and update it before you run it).

Download Lavasoft's VX2 Cleaner plug-in here
http://www.lavasoftu...x2cleaner.shtml

How to use Lavasoft's VX2 Cleaner plug-in

- Close Ad-Aware 6 and Ad-Watch (if running)
- Download the free VX2 Cleaner at http://updates.ls-se...lvx2cleaner.exe
- Install the VX2 Cleaner
- Start Ad-Aware 6
- Go to "Plug-ins"
- Select the VX2 Cleaner plug-in and click "Run Plugin"
- If your computer isn't infected, click "Close".

If your computer is infected

- Select "Clean system"
- Reboot your computer
- Scan your computer with Ad-Aware
- Remove any VX2 objects detected
- Reboot your computer again
- Run a second scan to make sure the files have been removed from your computer

Please delete your temporary files by deleting all files and folders that are in those folders (do not delete the temp folder itself) like for example
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\
C:\Temp\
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp\
Also delete your Temporary Internet Files, be sure to also select delete all offline content.

Reboot your PC.

If you would please, rescan with HijackThis and post a fresh log in this same topic, and let us know how your system's working. :tazz:

When your log is clean again, do this:

3. Turn ON System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
UN-Check *Turn off System Restore*.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

beiss

beiss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks again for your help. This is getting real frustrating.

I disabled system restore, downloaded ad-aware and the vx2 cleaner.

I ran the vx2 cleaner and it was clean. (It ran very quickly, a second or two).

I deleted all the temp file stuff.

I am writing from my work PC because I could not get back on the internet from home.
I must have rebooted 50 times unsuccessfully. The only way I could rerun a Hijack this scan was in safe mode. Is this ok?

It's getting close to sledge hammer time.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
No need to call in M.C. Hammer yet. :tazz: I'll take a look at it in a little bit.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
OK Beiss. This is not my area of expertise, but I found this for you.

http://aumha.org/win4/kbefe.php

Fatal Exception 0D

Of the many types of Fatal Exception Errors, a Fatal Exception Error 0D is a General Protection Fault. A program has been corrupted in memory. Most often, it is caused by outdated or damaged video drivers, outdated multimedia software, or physically damaged RAM. However, these are not the only causes. Unfortunately, sometimes it can be obscure because any fatal exception condition not covered by any of the other 17 processor exception categories will be called a general protection fault. The specific scenario and specific error message references should be consulted to help identify the specific problem. For updated drivers, check with your hardware manufacturer (usually through their web site), or check here.

OVERVIEW. See: What is an Exception Error 0D?

SEARCH FOR MORE. If you cannot find your Fatal Exception 0D Error Message below, try these links to search the Knowledge Base for others in Win95 Win98 Win ME.

* Error 0D : 0157 : 00005ED7 {Q307908} Win ME (Quitting Sounds & Multimedia in Control Panel)
* Exception 0D at VXD VMM(0H)+00005B01 0028:C0006B01 Win98 SE (BSOD during startup with some AMD chips)
* Fatal 0D has occurred at 0028:C001539A or 0246:013F47FB Win95, Win98, Win98 SE, Win ME (with McAfee Clinic installed)
* Program Has Caused a Fatal Exception 0D at 00457:000040B1 & Will Be Terminated Win95, Win98 BSOD with Adobe Type Manager & some video drivers.

beiss

beiss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks again for your help. Here's the latest

First,

The error is VMM(01) + 000127D7 ERROR: OE: 0028: C00137D7, I mistakenly typed OD.

I restored my system with the CD that came with the PC. I did both without format and with format with no improvement.

What does this mean?