Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Driver Crash Error wanatw4.sys FROM aol

• Please log in to reply

lawellin72

lawellin72

• Pip
  • 2 posts
HI,

I TRIED TO UNINSTALL AOL TO GET RID OF MY AOL DRIVER CRASH ERROR FROM THE wanatw4.sys DRIVER. THE DRIVER IS STILL THERE AND I CANT FIGURE OUT WHAT TO UNINSTALL TO GET RID OF IT.

Advertisements

tekmom

tekmom

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have also had this issue. Here's what I've done that seems to have corrected this problem. Before making any of these changes, make sure to setup a System Restore point so that you can restore your computer to its current state, should any of these changes cause you a problem. You can access System Restore from the Windows Help shortcut on the Start menu.

I am using XP and do not have a dial-up modem installed on my computer (use cable connection), so only do this step if your computer is setup the same way: Go to Device Manager and scroll down to "Network Adapters." Look to see if a WAN Miniport (ATW) appears and if it has an exclamation point next to it. (Mine did.) If so, right click it and select "disable." ((If you uninstall it, it will continue to reinstall at each startup, causing the same conflict.))

Next -- do this only if you are comfortable making configuration changes and you do not have a dial-up modem: Go to Start, Run, and type in "msconfig" (with no quotation marks) and click OK. Click on the "Startup" tap -- the last tab at the top to the right. Scroll down those startup programs and look for AOL Dial-Up. If that is checked, remove the check from the box and click on "Apply." Click "OK." You will be prompted to restart your computer, so go ahead and restart. Once your computer restarts, you will be prompted by the MSCONFIG window again reminding you that you are in selective startup. Put a check in the box at the box at the bottom that says something like "Don't remind me of this again." This window will no longer pop-up at startup to remind you of these changes.

I have found these things seem to have stopped my problems with the AOL driver. Also, while I was in MSCONFIG, I unchecked all of the AOL programs from starting at "startup" since I have an AOL icon on my desktop and can start the program manually just fine.

Next (just FYI) -- Go to Dell.com and download the newest version of the Dell Crash Analysis Tool (new as of Sept. 2005). Select to have that version to override earlier version if prompted. After installation, re-run the Tool and you may find -- as I did -- that the AOL driver no longer appears in the results, but possibly a new one does. In my case, it's now a Symantec driver for Norton Internet Security/Virus. Symantec states that they are aware of this problem on Dell computers and do not have a solution at this time. SO, I did a search for the driver and found it was dated (installed) in April, even though I have re-installed the program since. Assuming it is probably an older driver, I deleted it. Don't know just yet if this will correct this new problem or not. So far, haven't had any crashes. I have re-run the Dell crash tool program and nothing appears in the results now.

I hope this helps you.