Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Reboot when playing certain games

• Please log in to reply

Dabuska

Dabuska

• Pip
  • 5 posts
First of all i'd like to apologize if i've posted this under the wrong Forum... but i couldn't figure out weather this is a hardware or a game problem. :)

The whole deal boils down to the fact, that when playing certain games (the ones i can remember right now being: The Elder Scrolls III-Morrowind, Splintercell-Pandoras Tomorrow, Project nomads, Dungeon Lords and Thief2-The Metal Age), the computer reboots after a couple of minutes... and usually at the same spots in game, whereas games like HL2 and GTA: San Andreas runs flawlessly

I've tried to patch the games... which didn't help at all.
I've updated my graphics driver... which also didn't change a thing.
I've checked the temperature on my cpu and harddisk, which is 48cº and 41ºc.
Also i had a look inside to see if the fans didn't move for some odd reason, and everything seemed to run perfectly.
i switched off the auto reboot option to see if i could get some kind of error caption... but all that led to was a nasty BSOD and manually reboot required.

If anyone had an idea as to what might be going on it would be much appreciated.... since im about ready to throw in the towel :tazz:

My computers specs is:

Pentium4 3,2Ghz
Medion Radeon X740XL PCI-E 128Mb DDR3
2x 512 DDR-SDRAM PC3200

Edited by Dabuska, 10 September 2005 - 09:51 AM.

Advertisements

ankush patel

ankush patel

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
MEMORY IS YOUR PROBLEM IF I AM CORRECT YOU HAVE 128MB OF MEMORY!!!

THAT HAPPENS WHEN YOUR MEMORY IS LOW
THE PC WILL RESTART

FreddieKrugerGuy

FreddieKrugerGuy

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Either that or your memory is damaged.

Freddie

Dabuska

Dabuska

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have 1Gb of regular Ram.... the 128Mb is my video card... and as i said... it's only in certain games its an issue... New high end games run perfect.... but i kinda miss playing Morrowind :tazz:...

thx for the reply though :)

Dabuska

Dabuska

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Right.. i ran a test with CPU-Z and it detects 1024Mb of memory... which is what i have installed. Atleast that means that my memory isn't fried... correct?

If there's anyone who can think of something that might cause the system reboots i would appreciate to hear from them... since this is getting close to driving me nuts :tazz:

ankush patel

ankush patel

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
maybe your old games cant handle your graphics card

ankush patel

ankush patel

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
hey,

i did some research and check this link out,

this will help you out a lot!!!

http://www.computing...forum/4684.html

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This will result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

Dabuska

Dabuska

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
First of all thanks alot for taking time to help the through this.. it is much appreciated :).

-dsenette

I followed your steps... however i didn't manage to bring up the BSOD.. and still there aren't any error messages when my computer crashes in game.... However... i did take a look in the system log book and there were quite a few red flags:

the ones that came up after i rebooted in safe mode is:

Source: Dcom Occurrence: 10005

as well as a bunch of

Source: Server control manager Occurrence:7026 and 7001

Now the one i could spot that would have happened around the last time it rebooted would be:

Source: system error Category: (102) Occurrence: 1003

I hope this helps to you figuring out what is going on.. and if i did something wrong tell me and i'll have another look at it :)

Right... i forced (read played a game :tazz:) another BSOD... and looking at the system log afterwards only 2 red flags were present :

errortype: error
Occurrencesource: Service Control Manager
Occurrence category: None
Occurence-id: 7009
Date: 13-09-2005
Time: 15:45:21
User: Not Accecable
Computer: MAINFRAME
Description:
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the service gatewayservice connects to the program layer.

the other one is exactly the same exept and occurence-id of 7000
Yderligere oplysninger finder du under Hjælp og support på http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

*note: I had to translate this from Danish to English.. so the word use it probably way off... hope you guys catch the meaning though :).

Edited by Dabuska, 13 September 2005 - 08:05 AM.

Dabuska

Dabuska

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Problem solved :)

It turned out, after reading the guide ankush patel found, that all it needed was a sound driver update... even though i swear i'd done that atleast once before :tazz:.

Thx alot guys for taking the time to help me out with this :)