Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

START UP SLOW NOT SURE WHAT TO DISABLE IN MSCONFIG

• Please log in to reply

lawellin72

lawellin72

• Pip
  • 2 posts
HI,

MY START UP IS SLOW AND I THINK I NEED TO DISABLE SOME OF THE STUFF IN THE START UP. ALSO I AM RUNNING AVG VIRUS SOFTWARE AND NEED TO DISABLE ITS AUTOMATIC RUN OF A TEST EVERY TIME I START UP MY LAPTOP.

Advertisements

dflo404

dflo404

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Assuming you mean that you have too much going on when you start the computer, that's just a matter of going to the options of those programs, and disabling the option of automatically starting when you start you computer.

Same goes for the virus program. Just go to the scan options, and there should be a way to select your autoscans.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Disengage your caps lock key.

To remove programs from start up, disable them from within themselves (options or preferences button, usually) or type "msconfig" sans quotes in the run line. Mike Lin has a neat utility for that, for free, too.
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Look for a preferences or options tab within AVG to stop it from scanning everytime you boot the computer.

Johanna