Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard drive help

• Please log in to reply

ebonshadow

ebonshadow

• Pip
  • 2 posts
SO.....my mothers conputer lost a boot file and I could not recover it. I tried to recover with XP disk to no avail. kept asking to format, did not, i atleast know better than that. I have now hooked up the drive to my computer and my computer recognizes it labels it (Local Disk F:) but i cannot communicate with it. The error message tells me that it need to be formatted. I nedd to recover the information on the drive so formating would be bad. Mom's computer is an emachines...gasp!...shes old and liked the young man a comp usa he was so nice and...get the point? it was running XP home. drive is Samsung 40 gig. I run XP pro and have dells...good service...I only need a couple of files and folder. I was tring to make a copy of the Drive using Western Digital lifeguard. It tells me the source path is invalid. The whole problem seems to come to the F: drive not being reconnized.

can any thing be done in DOS or how can i make a copy without looseing data

Thanks for any help!

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can try writing a new master boot record type in fixmbr.

ebonshadow

ebonshadow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
how do I use the FIXMBR?