Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Sound after Windows Update, Nothing Worked

• Please log in to reply

kaido20

kaido20

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi There
I was just wondering if anyone can provide help in this area.
A few days ago, I wanted to clean out my hard-drive, so I did the following things.

1. Used control panel to uninstall programs that I didn't think I need. I accidentally deleted my sound driver, but I didn't know that yet.

2. Used the clean disc function from Windows XP to clean out any temporary files from my hard-drive.

3. Further cleaned my hard-drive using a program called CCleaner, which cleans out all storage files, which means that I cannot roll back my system to a previous date (the first thing I tried to fix this problem.)

4. Compressed the hard-drive to give out more space.

When I realized that I deleted the sound driver, and did not have any sounds, I tried the following things.

1. Use Windows Update and updated all the current updates, including the sound driver, "C-Media AC97 Audio Device." There's no sound after the installation.

2. Try to roll back the system, but Windows XP said that it cannot find the files from the previous dates and, hence, cannot roll back.

3. Downloaded Realtech AC97, which some people who had similar problems did, it has absolutely no effect.

4. Uninstall the Realtech AC97 drive, still nothing happened.

5. Put my original sound driver's CD into the computer and reinstalled my sounddriver, and updated the current "C-Media AC97 Audio Device." driver according to the information available on the CD. I rebooted, but nothing happened.

I checked my system status, driver information, device services. There is no error whatsoever. In fact, according to my system, there should be sound already, and winamp even plays all the songs I requested, and shows the amplitude graph to show that it is playing. The trouble is, there is no sound coming from the speaker, and I even double checked the speaker connection, and turn off the speaker, unplugged them, and turn it on and replug them again. Still nothing.

I have tried every available guides I can find, and nothing worked up to this point. Does anyone has a solution to this?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Did you check to make sure the volume wasn't muted??

Murray

kaido20

kaido20

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Did you check to make sure the volume wasn't muted??

Murray

View Post

Yep
In fact, I checked that probably at least three times.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
What did you use to compress the hdd??

Did you try "uncompressing" it??

Also, CCleaner doesn't touch the System Restore folder so your restore points should be there..

Murray

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
First off, does it show that the sound card driver is installed, aka are there no YELLOW question marks in device manager? If there isn't, it's possible that you just need to make the computer use sound card and right now it's set to use none. To, go to control panel, then sound & audio devices. Click on the audio tab, and what does it show for default device under Sound Playback. If it shows nothing, check the pull down menu and see if your sound card is listed there.

kaido20

kaido20

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Murray S.
There's a function in the upgraded windows xp that allows you to compress your hard-drive. Just right click, and go to property, and select the box that says this.

Fenor

There is no yellow question-mark. I tried your method, but C-Media Wave Device is there...As I said, it should be working, but it isn't.

kaido20

kaido20

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Does anyone have any suggestions?
It's kind of urgent.

Thanks

kaido20

kaido20

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Just to note that I tried everything microsoft guide suggested.

They don't work

kaido20

kaido20

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Just a quick note
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the sound driver.
No effect.

I will continue to post my efforts on this board in the hopes that someone will be able to solve it.

Thanks

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Could try going into the bios and disabling the onboard audio, then boot up the machine into windows, and then shut the computer down, reboot it and re-enable onboard audio in the bios and then reboot the computer into windows and see what happens.

Another thing you can try, is to put your xp cd in the drive (click exit for the window that pops up), then go to START->RUN and type in: sfc /scannow it will check all your windows files and make sure none of them are corrupt. After the blue bar goes away, reboot your computer.

Another thing you can try is to do a Repair Installation of Windows XP. You wont lose any files or programs or settings doing this, it will just reinstall the operating system files. You will need to redo windows updates after this though to get SP2 and all the others.