Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

W2K always starts safe mode

• Please log in to reply

smorelli

smorelli

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I got a new laptop with pre-installed XP. The laptop is used with an external fitness testing unit which works only with Windows 2000 Pro. So I had to install W2K (with SP4) over XP which was quite an adventure but I finally succeeded. Everything seemed to go smooth but then I discovered that W2K only booted in safe mode (big icons, low res etc). I checked with F8 during the booth process and in fact W2K always starts in safe mode. I tried to change it but there is no way to make it work - it keeps starting up in safe mode.

Does anybody know what the problem is?

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Installing Windows 2000 OVER windows xp will not work. you need to do a fresh install or do a dual boot where you have both OS's installed but can choose which one to boot up into when you turn on your computer.

smorelli

smorelli

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I did a fresh install on the partition where XP was installed erasing all data on that specific particion. Isn't that the right way to do it?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Could you please explain the process you used to install W2K over XP as that normally isn't allowed (can't downgrade an operating system)..

Also, if you wanted a dual bootsystem the recommended and proper method would be to install the older OS forst.. In this case, W2K !!

Murray

smorelli

smorelli

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
As the manufacturer told me to do I booted the laptop from the System CD (with F12) and when I was asked if I want to recover the system I turned off the computer (as I was told to do). Then I restarted with the W2K CD-Rom and went through the installation process.

Isn't that the right way to do it?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Not normally but if that is what they said to do.. it is their system.. Now, go back to them and have them fix the problem they caused!!

Murray

smorelli

smorelli

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I will get back to them on Monday.

What would be the right way to do it? The person I spoke to from the support didn't seem to be quite sure how to do it himself...

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Totally clean the hdd of all partitions, and then use the W2K cd to boot from and install with..

Murray

smorelli

smorelli

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
What about having both OSs installed and then choose which one to boot up into like FENOR suggests?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
On the same hdd or a second hdd??

If the same drive, then you would need to tell setup to partition the drive into 2 parts.. Install W2K first on the first partition and then XP on the second..

Murray

smorelli

smorelli

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok, this might sound daft but can I erase and repartition the HDD with the W2K CD-Rom? (Sorry, I am more familiar with MACs...)

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I don't think you can with the 2K cd, but what you can do is put in the xp cd, boot from it and go as far as where you can delete and create partitions, create the partition, or partitions, without formatting any of the drives, and then turn off your computer, put the 2k cd back in and then boot from that cd, you should then be asked during setup which partition you want to use and 2K will format it and install 2k on that partition, then all you have to do is, once 2k is installed, turn off the computer, put the xp cd in, turn your computer back on and then run setup from the cd and install to the OTHER partition.

Edited by Fenor, 10 September 2005 - 03:13 PM.