Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vid. card on Ubuntu problem

• Please log in to reply

h0tpants

h0tpants

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Okay, i did system recover to nuke all the unneccesary crap on my hd before i ran Ubuntu. I installed both OS fine, both boot up fine from Grub. I reinstalled my gfx card and drivers and now when i try to boot Ubuntu it stops booting at the "loading hotsync(or whatever)". just wondering what i can do to remedy this problem. also instead of \hda1 my location is \sd1, didnt know if this was a problem or not. thanks.

Advertisements

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
did you reinstall your drivers and card after you installed Ubuntu??? if you did then you have to reinstall ubuntu to get it to work.

here is what happened.

when you installed ubuntu it wrote the configuration files needed to properly load based on the card and drivers at the time of the install. so if you installed the drivers and the card after the install, it doesn't pick up on the different settings (i.e. new card)

When I had to repalce my MOBO I had to reinstall my Ubuntu distro because Ubuntu no longer recognized my MOBO. The different settings on it didn't correspond with the config files.

hope this helps

h0tpants

h0tpants

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
okay, i installed ubuntu first then the card and winxp drivers. i have tried using www.ubuntuguide.org's nvidia driver install a couple times but it alwasys errors. i started to use nvidia's driver install guide but they arent very specific and i am just starting to use linux so i'm not to hip with the terms...yet. i got stuck on exiting the Xserver resetting the run level. any help and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
I'm assuming you downloaded it from here:

http://www.nvidia.co...2_1.0-7676.html

does the file you downloaded execute when you try to run it? ubuntu supports files with the extension .run, it should launch a graphical install to help you through the process. and the readme file should tell you about where to go from there.

h0tpants

h0tpants

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
i think i figured out what is wrong. i finally got the install display but it told my i didnt have the right kernel and it couldnt download the right kernel. so i looked at my kernel version and realized that i downloaded the breezy badger version which uses a prerelease kernel which the nvidia drivers dont support. so right now i am downloading the hoary version and hopefully this will solve the problem. thanks.

h0tpants

h0tpants

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
well, now i can get the drivers to install but when i try to edit the xorg.config and then try to start the GDM i get an "I cannot start X server..." error message. i have tried following the nvidia guide but that doesnt work. any help/advice??

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
since you changed kernel's and cards, have you tried reinstalling Ubuntu?

h0tpants

h0tpants

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
yeah, i have actually reinstalled it a couple times.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
If your running on a newly installed version you shouldn't have to mess with Xorg.config file. That should only be modified after you install some new hardware. what changes are you making in Xorg.config?

h0tpants

h0tpants

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
under section "modules" i took out "Load "dri"" and under section "device" i replaced "Driver "vesa" with "nvidia". when i plug vga into my geforce fx 5500 card the boot freezes on "starting hotplug subsystems", i was getting help from ubuntuforums.org but the guy helping me ran out of suggestions.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
do you have a link to the topic at ubuntu forums, that way I don't repeat what was being done. After I read that I will see what I can do

h0tpants

h0tpants

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
http://www.ubuntufor...ead.php?t=64511

http://www.ubuntufor...ead.php?t=52924

i go under the same handle there too.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
ok, did you try running it without making any mods to the Xorg.config file after the reinstall to see if it works??

in the mean time I will do a little further research on this and see what I come up with.

h0tpants

h0tpants

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
alrighty then, i'll try that and let you know what happens.thanks.

i reinstalled ubuntu and the updates,then all the gcc's&linux-headers 2.6.10-5-386 (from synaptic pkg. man.). then i downloaded and installed Nvidia Linux AI32 drivers. then rebooted computer with moniter plugged into card and PCI for primary display device(from BIOS), at "starting hotplug subsystem" it froze.

Edited by h0tpants, 18 September 2005 - 09:01 AM.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
hi,
sorry its taken so long to get back to you.

What brand and kind (laptop or desktop) of computer is this that you are using this on?

also could you download everest home edition, it's free, from http://www.lavalys.com/ adn give me the specs on your motherboard. (i.e. manufacturer, chipset, etc...)

I will be able to find more specific information from what you tell me.

Thanks