Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

processor speed problems

• Please log in to reply

monkeymedia

monkeymedia

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
my PC was bought as an athlon 2.1ghz, which was fine however a couple of weeks later i noticed that when booting up the processor details had changed to read as a 1.6ghz processor. (this definitely changed i.e. it was not like this from initial purchase).

i proceeded to take the machine back where this was sorted out and the details then read correctly on booting up, however, the same thing has happened again.

I have checked the speed of the processor using Everest and it is running at 1.3ghz, i understand that a processor will not necessarily run at its full speed however 800mhz is too much of a loss!

why is this happening and how do i fix it?

cheers in advance for any help :tazz:

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

Just need to check something with you quickly:
You said you bought the system as a 2.1GHz Athlon. Was this definately 2.1GHz as opposed to an Athlon 2100+?

If so, can you find out exactly which processor you have? i.e Athlon XP 3000+ (Barton) for example. You should be able to find this info using Everest.

Can you also find out, using everest, which motherboard you have (make & model) and what your ram is? ie. DDR 400 for example.

monkeymedia

monkeymedia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Everest tells me,

Motherboard - ECS K7S5A (Elitegroup Computer Systems)
CPUID - AMD Athlon XP 1500+
RAM - 512MB PC2100 DDR

Clock Speed - 1300Mhz

However the PC was sold to me as a XP 2100+, thus it seems that i have not been sold what was paid for?

Edited by monkeymedia, 11 September 2005 - 03:29 AM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Yep, it looks like you've been mislead on the cpu speed by the people that sold you the system I'm afraid.

An Athlon XP 1500+ should be running at about 1.3GHz, which it is.
An Athlon XP 2100+ will run at around 1.7GHz. (You have to remember that the number before the + sign, eg 2100+ represents the performance rating, not the actual speed itself).

I would go back to the place that sold you the computer & demand an upgrade or a refund.