Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Problem detected and windows needs to shut down"

• Please log in to reply

Sherrie

Sherrie

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
at least twice a week I get a sudden blue screen ( I loose everything I had up and windows shuts down) with the following sentences:

A problem has been detected and Windows needs to shut down to prevent damage" blah blah blah then "check for adequate disk space" blah blah "check with your hardware vendor" Then ...

Technical Information:

xxx STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x00000000, 0xF7C25C54,0xF7C25950)

I would appreciate any help you can give.

Thank you for your time

Advertisements

FreddieKrugerGuy

FreddieKrugerGuy

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Hey Sherrie, Welcome to Geekstogo!

Can you please give me the exact error message you get? It will help me greatly to assist you with your problem.

Freddie

Sherrie

Sherrie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I was afraid you would say that lol

I didn't write down everything as the information above the "technical information" statement was basically telling me to contact my hardware vendor etc. It was just giving me advice on how to go about detecting the problem or at least that was my take on it. There was no other technical information that I recall.

Then there was a space and the words "technical information" and *** STOP: .. with the number/letter combinations I included in my original post.

Thank you for your help

~Sherrie

Sherrie

Sherrie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I don't know if this is related. I was going to post a separate thread for it.

When I shut down my pc now I get a box telling me that a program is trying to end and it asks me if I want to "end now" ... The program is CMMON32. EXE

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Did you add any new hardware lately
what kind of computer
have you just upgraded any software eg service pack 2

FreddieKrugerGuy

FreddieKrugerGuy

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
That process is a known virus.

Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

Freddie

Sherrie

Sherrie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Thanks Peterm

No, I have not added any new hardware and have not upgraded.

I have a fairly new (about 5 months old) Dell Dimension 3000.

Sherrie

Sherrie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
will do that Freddie. thank you

sherrie

FreddieKrugerGuy

FreddieKrugerGuy

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
No problem, let me know how things went.

Freddie

Sherrie

Sherrie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I should add that I have run my mcAfee virus scan as well as a panda search. I have run adaware and spybot (do this regularly) and I am currently participating in a free trial with Webroot and did a scan today.

Advertisements

FreddieKrugerGuy

FreddieKrugerGuy

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Follow all the instructions in this thread:

http://www.geekstogo...?showtopic=2852

70% of your malware issues should be fixed by then. After doing all the scans, go to the malware forum in my signature and post a HJT log there just to make sure.

FKG

Sherrie

Sherrie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Freddie ~ when you stated "that process is a known virus" were you referring to windows shutting down or the CMMON32.EXE box popping up when I try to shut down. ?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Freddie:

You need to learn to do a little research before jumping to conclusions that a particular file is malware !!

CMMON.EXE = Microsoft Connection Manager Monitor. Little known Microsoft program on which there is no documentation.

It is an actual Microsoft file !!!

Don't do anything with Sherrie..

As for your error message Sherrie.. (as per Ahuma.org)..

A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues. Check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional information.

If you can check the event log and see just where the errors are coming from..

Murray

FreddieKrugerGuy

FreddieKrugerGuy

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
I was reffering to the CMMON32.EXE process.

FKG

FreddieKrugerGuy

FreddieKrugerGuy

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Murray S, I got that information from several sites including

http://www.iamnotageek.com

I couldn't find any information about it in Pacman's startup list. I did my homework.

FKG