Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Just installed new secondary hard drive...

• Please log in to reply

nonosma

nonosma

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Just in stalled a new seondary hard drive, after I installed it I decided it would probably be better to just use the new one as the master drive.
I don't know how to readjust this though. Do I transfer all files to the new drive then reinstall it as master? Or do I remove all from the new one reinstall it then start from scratch?
Also, I was wondering how the secondary drive works. If I save info will it go to the secondary drive for storage or will it go to the regular main drive automatically?
Sorry, I just learned to do the manual work myself, but the technical com stuff throws me.

Advertisements

Lexyluv

Lexyluv

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
i did this myself on my old comp all you need to do is install your system on the new hd to use it as the main one and than transfer all your old stuff to the new one after. Sounds logical to me but than you would have to reformat the old one so it didnt have an os on it as well.

nonosma

nonosma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
I don't quuite understand what you mean. I know how to change the slave to master thing. Then would I transfer all files to master drive? Then how would I reformat the slave drie?
Oh, and would I have to reinstall windows? Or would transferring it over take care of the problem?
Thanks for your help! :tazz:

Lexyluv

Lexyluv

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
you would most likely have to reformat you cant just transfer stuff over and have it work like a os lol

nonosma

nonosma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
So then, how do you reformat the old drive? I can do all the manual stuff like I siad. Putting it together was easy, but all the techie stuff is baffling me.
Apologzies for my horrible typing. Brain moves faster than my hands do lol!