Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Drives not recognized

• Please log in to reply

canesline

canesline

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Just last week I finish ridding my computer of all sorts of adware and infections with the help of GeekstoGo member Loophole and now my cd drives don't seem to work by themselves, nor are their icons seen in My computer. I'm not sure if that has something to do with all of the stuff I had been doing to my computer last week in terms of deleting different files and stopping processes and using HJT and all sorts of stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,

-Eli

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi canesline...Welcome to G2G!

Go to Device Manager (Right click "My Computer" and click "Properties"...Under the "Hardware" tab, click "Device Manager"...click on the "+" next to "DVD/CD-ROM drives" (or similar)...If your drive is listed there, right click on it and choose "Uninstall"...Accept the removal and reboot. Upon restart Windows should automatically detect and reinstall your drive(s).

We may have to reinstall some drivers, but usually the windows default drivers will get them going.

Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 10 September 2005 - 02:43 PM.

Dave M.

Dave M.

• Pip
  • 8 posts
If your syatem doesnt "see" your hardware, you may need to reinstall the driver for it.

To do this, research the name of your piece of hardware, and look up the driver online.

your search should look something like this: "<Device type/name> drivers for <OS version>"

After you have found the correct driver, go to the Device manager(method mentioned in above post.) Select Update Driver. Select the hardware type and then choose the location where thedriver is stored. After updating the driver restart your machine.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
canesline...

Please try the procedure in Post #2 first...it usually does the trick! :tazz:

wannabe1

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I agree with wannabe1, you don't need to reinstall the driver because Windows already has a driver built in for it. Just uninstall it and reinstall as mentioned in Post #2 above.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
the only time additional drivers are needed is with HP cd/dvd writers because they need crappy DLA software to make them work correctly.

canesline

canesline

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
wannabe1,
thanks for the advice but looks like I still got problems. I uninstalled both of my cd drives like you said (hit the plus button then uninstalled the two drives that showed up from that) and then rebooted. When it booted up an add hardware icon popped up saying cd drives installed and listed both names......however, neither show up in My Computer still, and don't run by themselves when I put cds in them... any ideas?

thanx for help,

-Eli

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
canesline...

What brand and model are your drives? This information should be listed in the Device Manager...

wannabe1

canesline

canesline

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Wannabe1,

The first drive came with the computer, so I guess its brand is Dell, its model is, LG CD-ROM CRD 8482B. The second drive however was bought after I got the computer. I'm not sure of what the brand is, It says "JustLink" on the outside of the actual cd drive and its model I guess is, RW-241040. When I look in the device manager and then look at each drive's properties they both say the same thing,

"Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device."

Thanks,

-Eli

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...

There are a couple of ways to approach this one. First, Try the hardware troubleshooter...Click Start and then Help and Support then choose "Index" in the toolbar. Type "Troubleshooting" in the text box and from the list select "List of troubleshooters" in the left pane and the tick the top button in the right pane...follow the prompts and let me know how it goes.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 10 September 2005 - 07:14 PM.

Advertisements

canesline

canesline

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
wannabe1,

did what you said, I see both of the drives listed, however when I select one and press next, it just brings me to a troubleshooter, no installation wizard pops up.

-Eli

canesline

canesline

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
it tells me the error I already had seen and asks if I want to try and use a troubleshooter to help fix any problems, or asks if I want to quit the wizard

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I just modified my previous post to point to a different troubleshooter...give that one a try. I'm researching drivers while you work through the troubleshooters.

wannabe1

canesline

canesline

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
typed in troubleshooting, but there was no "list of troubleshooters"

-Eli

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
canesline...that's ok

Everything I've found on drivers tells me the Standard Windows Drivers should be working these devices. Please follow the procedure below....You will need your Windows XP installation cd and product key. (Rule #1 in effect here)

REPAIR your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can.

Please post back with your results...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 10 September 2005 - 07:33 PM.