Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having problems running FF8

• Please log in to reply

Nathan_Benton

Nathan_Benton

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
So I made a topic asking how to run my Final Fantasy VIII game in Linux. WINE installed it without a problem :tazz:

However when I go to run the FF8 configure file, I get:
Unable to locate DirectSound-compatible soundcard. Final Fantasy VIII requires a DirectSound-compatible soundcard.

I'm running Ubuntu, and someone said that on the WINE website it says FF8 is compatible, could anybody give me a hand.

Also, I ran FF8 without this problem on the same computer, and the same hardware.

Advertisements

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
linux probably doesnt recognize your sound card. if you google the manufacturer you may be able to find some drivers for it that are made for linux. if you're unlucky however you'll have to try and configure the generic drivers. google is the best solution to see what other people have done with your sound card in linux.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
I just looked at the WineHQ Applist, yes it is listed there, but there is no documentation stating that it has been successfully or unsuccessfully accomplished.

I have to agree with theF0rce, check to make sure your soundcard is supported properly with Linux/Ubuntu.