Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow DHCP Address Assignment

• Please log in to reply

yeewiz

yeewiz

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
My home LAN of 3 PC's and one print server works just fine. However I have one slightly annoying problem with one PC.

My LAN consists of Netgear 4 port WGT624 router. Router also connects cable modem for internet access and all PCs can access the Internet. NO wireless is used.

One port on the router is patched to the cable to one room. In that room, a patch cable connects the wall RJ-45 to a NetGear FS108 Fast Ethernet switch. One PC is connected to this switch. Power to both the PC and the FS108 is controlled by a power strip and is turned off when not in use.

I have found, through trial and error, that when using dynamic DHCP address for this PC, I have to power up the FS108 for at least 20 minutes before I turn on the PC, in order to get an address and be connected to the LAN. If I use dedicated IP address for this PC, I only have to power up the FS108 for at about 5 minutes before I turn on the PC, in order to get my reserved address. Other PC's in other rooms do not have this problem. Oh yes, all PC's use Win ME.

My questions are:

1) other than leaving the FS108 powered on all the time, is there something else I can do to have immediate LAN access when powering up?

2) is the FS108 defective?

Thanks for your help!

Bob

Advertisements

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
yes you need to leave the switch on. when the switch is turned off the cache is cleared and it needs to "relearn" which MAC addresses are on which ports. since DHCP really operates at the MAC layer....by associating IP addresses to MAC addresses.

Besides which, in general you should always leave your computer equipment on, except for regular reboots and bad weather situations.

yeewiz

yeewiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks for the switch lesson. Appreciate the help.

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
:tazz: anytime