Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Device Installer Error

• Please log in to reply

crm1975

crm1975

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I am getting an error on start up of my PC that says - "Device Installer Error" Prior to this error I was getting one saying something about CFGMGR32.DLL. I can't remember exactly what it said but I GOOGLED and found that it was likely caused by the HP/KBD.EXE program. I deleted that program and the registry entry for it.

How do I fix this Device Installer Error? Do I need to relaod Windows.

I have a Compaq PC and am running XP and I downloaded all of the Microsoft updates in hopes that they would fix it but no luck.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
KBD.exe is the necessary file needed to run your keyboard, deleting it was not wise :tazz: What I would suggest you do, is go into safe mode (tap f8 when you first turn on your computer until a screen displays giving you the option to go to SAFE MODE) then go into device manager (right click my computer, click on properties, go to the hardware tab and click on device manager) and check and see what it shows for keyboards. Then if something is listed there, right click on it and select UPDATE DRIVER, then let it search for the driver automatically. Hopefully it finds something. Then reboot your computer into normal mode and see what happens.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
If what I said doesn't work, try a repair installation of windows XP by going here

Don't worry it won't delete any files or settings and all your programs will work. It just fixes the operating system. You will need to redo all the windows updates again after doing this though.