Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

question about pc case and psu

• Please log in to reply

computermaker

computermaker

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
im wondering what kind of case and psu i should by thats not to expensive i buy my products from newegg and i was wondering is it easyer to buy a case with a psu with it our buy a plan case and a psu seprate whats some good named brands? im not into flashy cases cause my tower is hidden in my desk so if anyone can help me ty

Advertisements

cyberCrank

cyberCrank

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
You will find that most cases come with power supplies (normally "bundled" cheaper that way too as case, fans, power supply, and hardware needed), but you can get them separately also too. Just be sure you get a reliable brand name power supply or you may have "noise" or electrical reliability problems (many people do not suspect their power supplies when they have sporadic crashing/rebooting from a bad or El Cheapo power supply).

Having said that, I have purchased Antec and Chieftec cases (both having Dragon series which are very similar). Because, years ago we purchased a nice Alienware system that came in an Antec case (bought it for my son for gaming, etc.). The Dragon style series (Antec and Chieftec both) are great, look nice, but more importantly they are easy to access via the side panel and the internals are very easy to work with having removable components making it easy for installing or replacing disks, motherboards, power supplies, etc., plus the air-flow fan options are nice for high-performance (hot) components that need additional cooling...

I have also purchased and like the Antec TruePower power supplies. They come with some cases or can be purchased separately. Be sure to scope out your power supply requirements and get a power supply that is large enough in watts (300+ maybe) to support all your components being planned for inclusion in your system (sum up all the power requirements and then decide what you need)...

What you get depends a lot on what your particular needs are. I tend to get a little bigger or roomier case (size and PS watts) for some expandability, but they can also come at a premium cost too, but reliability and stability are key for many people. There are other models (Antec, etc.) available on Newegg, TigerDirect, etc. at fairly low prices (case, fans, and power supplies included and not too expensive on shipping cost either).

Newegg and TigerDirect are both very good sources for cases and such...

Edited by cyberCrank, 10 September 2005 - 06:18 PM.

computermaker

computermaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
thanks alot :tazz: i want one with some fans in it and a good psu and wont cost me a fourtane i guess il look at reviews

computermaker

computermaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
any of these cases good?
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811147005
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811209018

cyberCrank

cyberCrank

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
The Atrix Dragon from Newegg looks nice and functional (it's roomy with a good number of external and internal bays, nice doors and layout, large 480 PSU, etc.) with the side door and fans (somewhat similar to the Antec and Chieftec Dragon's front/side door with fan in side door, etc.). And very reasonably priced too...

The bundled standard power-supply included (and 27 reviews) seem good:
http://www.newegg.co...001#DetailSpecs

Newegg is a good site and I have never purchased anything from them (at work or at home) that failed or failed to met reasonable expectations, but they have been good about returns too as needed if the wrong thing is ordered, etc.

I tend to lean toward tower cases, but ATX Mid-Tower cases are very functional now and are OK with "large" GByte (some very large) high-performance disks in small 3.5" sizes. In other words, the need for installing many disks internally for adequate storage (depending on your needs) has significantly reduced over the past few years and ATX Mid-Tower cases are often more than adequate for desktop-type applications, some gaming systems, and even for some small server-based applications. As long as you have the room you need in the case, adequate power supply wattage for your components, and good air-flow for keeping things cool where needed (CPUs, Video adapters, disks, etc.) then you should be good to go.

You mentioned keeping your unit "hidden" in your desk, so let me remind you (as I do for others) to be careful doing that and ensure that it has good ventilation and you keep the fans/filters clean so nothing overheats (over the decades working with systems I have seen many people have system problems from heat-related failures). But good motherboards now have BIOS with health (temperature) monitoring, so that helps too. In others words, don't just tuck it away inside your desk and not keep an eye on it periodically, and also check "all" the fans/filters, maybe every 6 months or at least annually, to be sure they are clean/cleared and ventilation is good...

Best of luck on whatever you get, but let us know what you get and how it all pans out.

Edited by cyberCrank, 11 September 2005 - 07:50 AM.

computermaker

computermaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
ya thanks all im installing in my mobo and case is a amd duron 1.8ghz 1gb of ram stick a wd 60gb hard drive and a geforce 6600 256mb agp graphic card plan to get another stick of ram so i have 2gb :tazz: belive it our not im doing all this to play the latest games lol