Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

pc has just stopped working

• Please log in to reply

davew9999

davew9999

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
hi all. for a couple of weeks my pc has been freezing about 3 or 4 times within 5 mins of the pc being on until it would perform normally. i thought a reformat of the hard drive would solve this problem but it hasnt. this morning i booted my pc and it froze as normal so i rebooted. then during the bios my pc froze and random colours came on the screen. since then my pc just wont come on. the pc turns on and everything powers up but the monitor remains black and in standby. any suggestions?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Sounds like your power supply is going bad, I suggest you replace it, because I would say it could be the memory, but you saying it froze in the bios leads me to believe it's the power supply.

Alot of other things could also be the cause, motherboard is damaged, cpu is damanged, etc.., but power supply is the cheapest and easiest thing to replace so I suggest you at least have the power supply tested at a local computer store. If they say they will charge you to test the power supply tell them no way, because it takes less than a minute to test it. (I have one at the computer store I work at and the tester fits in the plam of your hand and all they need to do is plug the different plugs from the power supply into it, connect the power supply to the power cord and lights will either turn on or wont if the power supply is bad.)

Needless to say, testing the power supply takes less time then it took me to type this response :tazz:

Edited by Fenor, 10 September 2005 - 06:00 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
It could also be that one of the internal fans has given out. Freezing is on of the symptoms of over-heating. Open the side of your computer and turn it on. Make sure all the fans are spinning. Could save you some trouble if you discover that's what it is.

davew9999

davew9999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
thanks mate. i am planning on upgrading my pc with a new motherboard, cpu and powersupply. not going to type a big responce as im using my psp to write this and its slow! thanks again

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
While you got the case check the capacitors
capacitors

Edited by peterm, 10 September 2005 - 07:12 PM.

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
Before you start mucking around with capacitors please be aware that they do carry a significant charge that lasts for a long time