Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PSU Problem ?

• Please log in to reply

ronnysaad

ronnysaad

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hello,

I have been encountering technical problems (specially when I play intensive graphic games, like Generals and Need for Speed Underground 2) with my PC ever since I changed my Power Supply, my CPU Fan and both Fan Cases with silent ones to get rid of the PC noise. Sometimes, the game exits by itself showing an error or followed by an automatic system reboot. The system suddenly restarts by itself. I press F2 to access the Hardware Monitoring and it display that the CPU temperature is around 84-88 degrees. Is this normal ? I've heard that the normal temperature range is 60-65 degrees.
I don't think the problem is my PC, because before installing the new PSU and Fans, it used to run games perfectly (haven't tried C&C Generals on it previously though), specially that it has a 3.2Ghz processor, 1GB of RAM and a 256MB Nvidia FX 5700LE graphic card so any game should function perfectly.
I've been browsing some technical forums on the net. The problem might be a low power Generating PSU (My carillon ultramute generates around 300W). Maybe my system requires more than that. I've been trying to contact NVidia but I have failed. I want to know how many watts the VGA requires because what I'm thinking is that maybe the VGA isn't receiving enough power, therefor, when I am playing games, there is a lot of pressure put on the CPU, that's why the tempreature is rising, especially that my VGA has a fan in addition to the 2 case fans and the CPU fan.

And sometimes, when I turn on the PC, it freezes form the very first second, doesn't start up. I have to turn off the main switch, wait, and turn it back on for the PC to run (This used to happen with my old PSU too though).

Do you think the problem is my PSU ? :tazz:

I know that was a bit too long but I need someone to help please :)

Thank you :)

Ronny :)

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Can't remember, but does the FX5700 need to have power plugged directly into it from the power supply? I know my FX 5900 does. If you do need to directly plug power into the video card, then I suggest a minimum of a 350W power supply but recommend at least 400W.

If that doesn't solve the problem, then I recommend you get a better heat sink for your CPU, I got myself an Extreme Vocano 12 and it lowered my cpu temperature by 12 degrees (and that's 12 degrees C not F)

Also make sure that the fans you have in the case aren't all blowing in the same direction, ie make sure every fan isn't blowing in or every fan isn't blowing out. Make sure you have some fans blowing in and the others blowing air out so you get proper circulation in your box or else it will overheat and cause all sorts of problems.

Edited by Fenor, 10 September 2005 - 09:55 PM.

ronnysaad

ronnysaad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hey Fenor,

I'm gonna contact Nvidia over the phone and ask them how many watts my VGA needs to function properly.

But I can see that the VGA Fan is functioning. Does this mean that the graphic card is working properly and thus the technical difficulties I'm facing aren't due to the VGA ?

I'm getting confused.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
yeah, id guess you need a bugger psu, the processor u got packs a fair old whack.

Does your G-card have a molex power connector? if so, id guess you need a new PSU.

biyectivo

biyectivo

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
84 degrees is a LOT for a CPU in normal thresholds. Check that the system is not overheating. Also a lot of systems turn off automatically if the heat is very high in order to protect it from burning/melting.