Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Connectivity Problem

• Please log in to reply

journey

journey

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I recently installed Norton Internet Security. Since then I have had problems getting some programs that use the internet to connect. The main one is Pokerstars. I don't play it often, but I tried to play the other day and when it tries to connect a bubble pops up that says simply "Internet connectivity problem."
Another is a game I have for my son, Bubblefish Bob. The program loads up, but when I try to log on, a window pops up that says,
"Unable to contact Shockwave.com.
Be sure you are connected to the Internet. If you continue to receive this error, please visit our Game Downloads FAQ for helpful troubleshooting tips"

Anyone got any ideas? I've run out.
Thanks

Advertisements

davepig

davepig

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
definitely sounds like the firewall is stopping the connections being made.

the easiest way to find out is to temporary disable it and try again - if it works then you know the fiewall is the cause, and you should configure it accordingly.

don't forget to turn the firewall back on again!

If not, post again.

Good luck

Dave

Edited by davepig, 10 September 2005 - 06:57 PM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Open up Norton and choose "program control". Make sure the programs you want to use are allowed. When you get the connectivity message, what happens if you right click on your network icon (bottom right of screen) and "repair connection"?

Johanna