Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connecting -> Internet

• Please log in to reply

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I have an external network card - Netgear MA111 Wireless Adapter. I recently installed Win98 on an older machine, and I'm not quite sure how to go about connecting to the internet through my wireless network. I have WEP encryption enabled.

Advertisements

davepig

davepig

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I am assuming that the Netgear MA111 WA is compatible with Win98.

You should be able to simply install the software that came with the network card, then configure it to match the details you set on your router.

I also have netgear wireless equipment and once you get going it is quite straightforward.

Good luck

Seven!

Seven!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Well, I've heard two things about Netgear: 'It works or it doesn't, for no apparent reason.'

I have another machine running XP Home SP2 - and connecting to the internet is an insane process. I have to disable the MA111 Adapter, enable Windows to configure my internet connection - then after 'connecting' (it says 'Not Connected', even though I can browse the internet and play MMOs), I disable Windows(because it's still sporadic), enable the MA111 adapter, and then I'm connected.

If you have any tips about that go ahead and elaborate :tazz:

davepig

davepig

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
is your router netgear? and is it configured for wireless networking?

and is your pc with WinXPsp2 connected wirelessly?

Seven!

Seven!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Yes to all three. It doesn't recognise WEP encryption either - not in 104bit nor 40bit.

davepig

davepig

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
have you tried connecting the Win98 machine direct to the router wired?

does it work?