Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Task Manager Processes Screen Problem

• Please log in to reply

NathanM

NathanM

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello.

This was my first thread that has a screenshot of the task manager problem I'm having. http://www.geekstogo...showtopic=62462

I watched the processes screen after I restarted my computer. It would be displaying everything normally and would flash several of the same .exes that I've never heard of. After my computer was done loading, I minimized it and when I maximized it again all of those blank names, symbols, etc. were there.

I've downloaded and ran all the programs in the thread I was directed to, except for a couple (reason why listed later). I got rid of a lot of infections, but my main problem wasn't fixed. Today I also noticed a few other problems I'm having.

- Cannot launch the install .exes of AdAware and Spybot: S&D or the programs themselves (the current ones I already have). I haven't noticed this problem in the past, and it has not been corrected through the various scans or restarts I've done today. After I click it it just doesn't do anything. I've tried downloading both several times, but always the same thing happens.

- I was trying to install Windows Media Player 10 today and it gave me an error saying: "System Restore is turned off. If you continued Setup, you will be unable to use System Restore to restore the version of Windows Media Player that was included with the Windows operating system that your computer is running. etc. etc..." This is a little off-topic from the main problem, but any ideas on this?

- Internet Explorer won't load any pages. I normally don't use it but have needed to on a few occasions and it just doesn't work. It's the newest version and I have tried updating it.

Anyway, on to the important stuff. (Will be posting it)

Edit: My logs were too large to put in this post (much larger than everyone else's that I checked for some reason...), so here are links to them.

Hijackthis: http://upl.silentwhi.../hijackthis.txt
Ewido: http://upl.silentwhi...0050910.txt.txt

Many thanks for help on my issues!

Edited by NathanM, 10 September 2005 - 07:45 PM.

Advertisements

NathanM

NathanM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hmm... I just hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and my processes screen was displaying properly. Cool. Don't know if it's fixed or I just happened to have looked at the right time. However, the other problems still exist, so please continue to investigate ><.

Edited by NathanM, 10 September 2005 - 08:22 PM.