Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lan Connection

• Please log in to reply

stupidatykills

stupidatykills

• Pip
  • 4 posts
alright, ive been dealing with a problem for a few weeks, I have done everything to solve it on my own (to my knowledge) so im coming to you for some help please. Currently I am living with my aunt, and am trying to set up a Network to bridge her internet connection (verison DSL). She has a Dell that runs XP home, I have a P4 that runs XP. I borrowed a router from a friend, and the connection wasnt working on my newly hooked up computer, i tried to run ipconfig /release /renew, nothing worked, i just get a few recieved files a minute, and never any sent. On the other hand, my aunts internet works fine. So i went out and bought a new router, LinkSyS 4 port cable ethernet router. Same problem, The tricky thing is, ANYWHERE else i set my computer up to a lan/router, it works instantly, i dont have to touch any settings. Verizon tried to tell me it was my ethernet card, but why would it work anywhere else, or when its the only computer set up to the network.

so as you know im going from Verizon modem, to router, router port 1 to aunts computer, router port 2 to my computer, aunts computer gains internet fine, mine gains a few recieved files a minute, None sent, please help if you can. thanks

BluEbeRRy :tazz:

Advertisements

stupidatykills

stupidatykills

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
could use some help please, respond when you can :tazz:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You ever try putting your computer in port 1 and not plugging in your aunts at all? And also, after you plug in the network cable from yoru computer to the router, you may need to reboot your computer because sometimes even XP can't figure it out unless it starts fresh from a clean boot.

Next thing you may want to try if that doesn't work is to set up your computer directly to the verizon modem and see if you can gain internet access that way.

Post back here what happens.

stupidatykills

stupidatykills

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yea, i tried just going from the dsl modem to my computer, it works fine, it even works fine with it goes from the dsl model, to the router, to my computer without my aunts computer connected. The only time i am having problems gaining access and a valid IP is when my computer is in the other room, and her computer is connected. I would just leave her computer disconnected, but she frequently uses the net. What I was thinking was, connect my comp first, gain access, then try to connect her comp. Maybe this will work? thanks for the help, respond if you can

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Both of your computers don't by chance have the same name do they?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
And I mean the 'Full Computer Name' that is listed when you right click on My Computer, go to Properties, then click on the Computer Name tab.

stupidatykills

stupidatykills

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
both different names, ill change them incase though, im at work, so dont have access to them, anything else that might be a problem though?