Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer will not reboot fully

• Please log in to reply

cookatwork

cookatwork

• Pip
  • 5 posts
After a power failure (NOT a power surge) the computer restarted and showed the screen - your computer unexpected shut down (or something like that) and gave the options to reboot in safe mode, safe mode with networking, etc and last known configuration.

When choosing safe mode (any of the options) it loads the screen with what look like file names (can't remember exactly what it says - I will try to start the computer and write them down if needed) and then just stops.

When choosing last known config - the white line goes across the bottom (like loading) and then just stops.

When starting the computer it acts as if it is going to boot up normal - the emachine screen comes on and then the black windows XP loading screen comes up and then it just goes to the booting options screen and then won't go on from there.

I have tried to reload my XP - and it said it totally reloaded - but still no change in how it is booting up.

I can get to the BIOS - and it appears everything is normal and running smoothly.

Nothing was newly installed for at least a month prior to this power failure. I had not run a virus scan or adware scan for probably a week prior to this - nothing unusual found during them.

Any help is apprecitated. Simple instructions are best for me! rofl I am a "do it yourselfer" and have learned what I know - from smarter people showing and telling me how to get it done.

Thanks, in advance!

Advertisements

FreddieKrugerGuy

FreddieKrugerGuy

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Hello. I'm Freddie.

It could be that your computer memory is damaged due to the unexpected power failure.

FKG

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try downloading this to another PC then loading it on to the problem PC

http://www.hcidesign...t/download.html

cookatwork

cookatwork

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I will try this when I get home from church. BUT......... (and I know this sounds silly but...) how do I load this if I can't get to a screen that will let me. The computer I am currently using only has a 3" floppy.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
It would fit onto a floppy, it look very small.

cookatwork

cookatwork

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok - I tried that - wouldn't even let me load it :tazz: :ph34r:

I ran the safe mode again so i could get the processes it goes through to write down for all of you who are good at this.

when i try to run safe mode I get:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)parititon(1)\WINDOWS\........ and from here it lists the separate files..... system32.... etc. and it runs about 25 to 30 process lines all with this at the beginning. Don't know if this helps or not - or even makes any sence the way I've written it.

Tonight I also tried to F8 during boot to try a more advanced booting - didn't work there either - either gave me the above or the line moved across the bottom of the screen like it was loading and then just froze. :) :) :)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have data on the PC you would like to keep then try here

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;307545

If you do not mind wiping the drive which will erase all data and programmes, try here

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;310994

You will need another PC to get the set up discs, which need to be the correct ones for the version of your XP installation CD

cookatwork

cookatwork

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have already used my restore disks that came w/ the computer - twice - and it didn't help anything. Do you think this will be any different? (I'm asking this question before even looking at the link - sorry).

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The theory was that with an XP CD, the set up discs may have got you beyond the point where the disc gave errors.

Having never used a recovery disc I am not sure if you can use set up discs with them

I will ask and let you know

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you look at the first link for system restore

cookatwork

cookatwork

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yeah I have looked at them both - I have a friend who is going to try and recover my files for me (if at all possible) - he also has the XP discs - I will try those and see if just installing the XP works any differently than reinstalling from the discs that came with my computer.

Who knows - I have asked so many people and they are all at a loss - they have not ever seen anything like this happening - where it won't let you boot in safe mode AND the complete reinstall of the operating system didn't fix the problem.

I'm thinking trash this one and just save for a new one.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Once you have saved the important files it gives you more options

You may need to transfer the hard drive to his PC and set it up as a slave

unitism007

unitism007

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This just recently happened to my PC, altho I was not aware of power being switched off, it is possible as i live with other people. I did a scan of the FAT itself, which came back as seriously corrupted. My HDD is now useless and is waiting to be taken to professionals to fully recover any required data. This has never happened before, but consumer advice is, stay away from Western Digital! Good Hard Drive, very bad reliability.