Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Installation

• Please log in to reply

thedog

thedog

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Well the other day I went out and bought a 160 gb Hitachi drive (Labor Day Sale) and tried to install the st*pid thing. I hooked it up and followed the directions. Booted up using provided cd, installed using the given program and Windows just can't access it. It appears in My Computer, Bios reads it fine, it is installed right, I just can't access it or format it. I tried using disk management but still doesn't work. I've tried using the hitachi drive fitness test and it reports no errors. I've overwritten the whole drive including the mbr. Whenever I try to format it, if its quick format it just reports "Windows could not format the disk" and if its regular format, it formats it but ends up saying the same thing. I gave up and used a Windows bootup cd to install the hdd as my primary but even using the cd I can't format it. I HAVE been able to format and use the drive when in Safe Mode but it does NOT format or work in Safe Mode with networking. Can anyone help? I'm at my wits end. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Welcome to G2G, my name is Brian..

We will need a bit more information in order to help you with this.

What is the model name/number for the hitachi drive?
Are you running Xp SP2?
What brand computer do you have?
What version of BIOS is it running?

thedog

thedog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The drive is a model HDT722516DLAT80. I am currently running windows xp sp2 and my computer is a Pentium 4 1.4 ghtz (not from a major brand name company). I have a D850 GB Intel Motherboard BIOS GB85010A.86A.0078.P18. I'm sure that the problem doesn't have to do with the over 137 gigs. I just tried using Acronis but I'm not having any success.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
So do you have SP2, try another IDE cable i doubt it will work but always worth a try you could also try using a third party app like partition magice to format the drive. Also is it a compatible speed for the motherboard.

Hey brian, its a bit obvious mate, lol , you might try being a bit more subtle, lol.

thedog

thedog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Problem solved. Stupid me :tazz: . Throttled it down to 100mb/s instead of 133 and it works fine now. Argh just sent an email to Hitachi though. Oh well.

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
:tazz: :)

But I'm always subtle....besides I mean that for all of us. Have spent 6 years in IT its amazing how many times i STILL get an ID10T error.........LOL

Edited by brianmil0923, 11 September 2005 - 08:11 PM.