Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Streaming a WEBCAM...

• Please log in to reply

MooreCandy

MooreCandy

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Just searching for ways to share images/video with friends and family across the globe, I stumbled upon this ....

http://www.dslreport...remark,14274514?

...and began to think that perhaps there is a better alternative to the MSN Messenger Webcam/Video option that I've used up to now for letting my family see my 13-month son .... live and on cam, and to let him see his cousin half way around the world.

I've used NetMeeting video with MSN Messenger sound ... and even tried combinations with Skype ....

It all falls a bit short of the quality I would hope to get out of the webcam.

Does anyone know about setting up a direct link (similar to what is described in the dslreports.com post, I think) so that my family can see my webcam without all the problems of Messenger and the like?

***Note: I am not very computer saavy, so programming terms and all that should be translated into english, please...

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

MooreCandy

MooreCandy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
No help with this? ..... Anyone?....

meighnot

meighnot

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
There are software programs available that will allow you to broadcast streaming video from your camera to a website which your family could then view, but these have two distinct disadvantages.

The first is that the link only goes in one direction. They will be able to see your webcam, but would have to set up similar software on their side for you to be able to view their webcam.

The other disadvantage is that, although you can limit who is viewing your webcam easily by inviting only specific users, this becomes much more difficult and requires more advanced knowledge to do over the web.

If you're still interested in doing that, there are a few hosting services that provide you with the software to link your camera to a website, and then a personal web address where your cam is viewable, all without you having to do the coding yourself. Sometimes this software is available through the maker of your camera, but typically they charge a fee for it. Another benefit in addition to the privacy of a direct link through Yahoo! or MSN or Netmeeting is that there's no extra fee involved in using those services.