Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can i use intel cpu fan on AMD duron?

• Please log in to reply

kendo2222

kendo2222

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
hi all, i am thinkin of changing my cpu fan, my pc is a axt type, running on a soltek mobo, not sure on model, but it has a AMD duron 1.1 chip, 256 ram and no cdrom just a floppy, so a basic pc for work. pc has been not booting up on cold start(i posted topic earlier.) my tech who sold me the system which is in win98 chinese which i cant read, said it sounded like the cpu fan as after about 3 years use near a kitchen it could get clogged up with dust and grease. ok i got a intel fan with heatsink from a intel celeron D 2.4 ghz brand new as my friend didnt need this part. does any one know if this fan or heatsink will work with the AMD chip. or can i use just the fan from it. or what type of heatsink and fan should i be needing. thanks.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
For the cpu you have you need a socket A cpu fan. As long as it says socket a compatible it will work. The duron is only a 1.1ghz so you dont have to worry about getting a big enough fan. Keep in mind about the speed rating. You need a cpu fan with the heatsink.

http://www.newegg.co...Submit=Property