Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help I have no control of my computer [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

ufsg79

ufsg79

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have tried and tried to fix my computer. Now I believe I have a worm called W32.Miroot.Worm. The reason I think I have this worm is I can not access my programs on my control panel. The majority of my programs are grayed out and I constantly get a pop up window that reads as follows:

Windows cannot open this file:

File: WINWORD.EXE

To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs on your computer.

What do you want to do?

Use the Web service to find appropriate program
Select the program from a list

This has all happened because the Norton Antivirus was not updated for a while. I have been out of the country for a year. The software is still valid it just has not been updated with live updates. Now to give you an idea of the type of antivirus software I use. I believe highly in Norton. I have Norton system works 2005 and PC doctor and spy ware doctor. I have the best virus software but that does not mean a thing if it was not updated

I have tried everything. The sad thing is I spent three hours working on this with no success.

Can someone please help me?

Ufsg79

Advertisements

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and reply here with your log.

Most of what Hijack This lists lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

Edited by tampabelle, 11 September 2005 - 10:32 AM.

ufsg79

ufsg79

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks, The problem is the computer will not allow me to download the hijak file. I have tried to download several files to help but I am getting the same message.

To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs on your computer.

What do you want to do?

I am sending you a list of the summary from Trend Micro. For some reason this is the only download that works. Please see attached

I am almost to the point where I am thinking about wipping out the computer and starting over. Any Ideas?

UFSG79

Attached Files

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Caan you copy and paste the scan report ??

The downloaded file is empty for me

ufsg79

ufsg79

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It will not let me down load the hijack file. It opens and then it ask me where I want to save it. I have tried to save it but it does not let me open the file. The only item that works is the free scan by Trend Micro, and it tells me the computer is clean. I can tell you by my symptoms it is far from clean. 208 MB of page file usage and the CPU usage is spiking from 25% all the way to 100% Every time I go to open or down load a program it gives me the same message

What do you want to do?

Here is what Trend Micro says

Virus Scan 0 virus cleaned, 0 virus deleted

Results:
We have detected 0 infected file(s) with 0 virus(es) on your computer. Only 0 out of 0 infected files are displayed: - 0 virus(es) passed, 0 virus(es) no action available
- 0 virus(es) cleaned, 0 virus(es) uncleanable
- 0 virus(es) deleted, 0 virus(es) undeletable
- 0 virus(es) not found, 0 virus(es) unaccessible
Detected File Associated Virus Name Action Taken

Trojan/Worm Check 0 worm/Trojan horse deleted

What we checked:
Malicious activity by a Trojan horse program. Although a Trojan seems like a harmless program, it contains malicious code and once installed can cause damage to your computer.
Results:
We have detected 0 Trojan horse program(s) and worm(s) on your computer. Only 0 out of 0 Trojan horse programs and worms are displayed: - 0 worm(s)/Trojan(s) passed, 0 worm(s)/Trojan(s) no action available
- 0 Worm(s)/Trojan(s) deleted, 0 worm(s)/Trojan(s) undeletable
Trojan/Worm Name Trojan/Worm Type Action Taken

Spyware Check 1 spyware program removed

What we checked:
Whether personal information was tracked and reported by spyware. Spyware is often installed secretly with legitimate programs downloaded from the Internet.
Results:
We have detected 1 spyware(s) on your computer. Only 0 out of 0 spywares are displayed: - 0 spyware(s) passed, 0 spyware(s) no action available
- 1 spyware(s) removed, 0 spyware(s) unremovable
Spyware Name Spyware Type Action Taken
COOKIE_1802 Cookie Removal successful

Ok listen to this. It will let me go to the control panel but it gives me the same message as above but it says

File: rundll32.exe

What do you want to do?

This is really frustrating. I would appreciate any help at all

Thanks,

UFSG79

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Do we have the Windows CD ???

It might be faster to do a Windows repair install !!!!

Repair Install will leave all the installed programs and data files intact on your PC !!!

Let me know if you have the Windows CD. I will give you detailed instructions on how to do a repair install

ufsg79

ufsg79

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have been away for a year and I have no idea where to begin to look. Any other ideas? I have tried the following thus far. Place the computer in safe mode and try to download security updates. This is no good same message as before. I did find the recovery disk. no luck. I even went as far as system re-store to factory settings. No good Oh wait. I just found a old disc that has windows 98. Any Ideas?

Thanks again for your help

UFSG79

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Does your PC have Windows 98 or Windows XP ?????

ufsg79

ufsg79

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Windows XP

I have looked all over and I can not find the disc

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Can you borrow a Windows XP disk ???

If your installed version is XP home then you need XP Home CD. Similarly if your installed version is XP Pro, then you will need the XP Pro CD !!!

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.