Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with RAM

• Please log in to reply

PurpleSapphire

PurpleSapphire

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello. I am having trouble with RAM. Even though I have have run numerous computer scans (Hijack This, Ewido, MS Anti-Spyware, Spybot S & D, Panda Active Scan, CCleaner, Ad-Aware ....the list goes on and on) and removed tons of junk, the RAM usage is nowhere close to normal.

I have 128MB RAM. I scanned with Everest and it found that utilized RAM fluctuates between 70 and 90 percent. There was also a note that stated "AGP aperture size is more than half of the system memory. This may cause penalty." I have tried to change the size from 4x to 2x but still the RAM is being heavily used. Does anyone know what I can do to correct this problem?

I can provide computer specs if neccessary. Thank you.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

First of all, WinXP is going to run like molasses in January with only 128megs of ram.. You should really upgrade to 256megs and realistically be looking at 512megs..

As for the aperture size, that is set in BIOS.. Just read your manual!!

Murray

PurpleSapphire

PurpleSapphire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks. This problem is recent. The system has run fine up until the last month or so.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Just boot into BIOS (setup) and reduce the aperature size to something under 64..

What changes did you do to the system prior to this problem??

Murray

PurpleSapphire

PurpleSapphire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I will check the BIOS. Thank you.

The only changes made were adding new printers. Other than that, I'm not overly sure because this is a shared computer. I think I have cleared off most of the junk that others have downloaded on this machine.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Okay.. try the BIOS setting and see if that helps..

Murray

PurpleSapphire

PurpleSapphire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I was able to set the aperture to 64. I checked Everest again but the usage is still high. If I add memory won't that be sucked up by whatever is using the majority of memory now?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
XP will use whatever it needs and leave the rest.. I have 512megs and over 350 of it is being used by Windows.. What do you think is being used with just 128 ??

Reduce the aperture setting more if you can..

Murray

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
how the f can an operating system take up 350mb of ram....thats outragous for an op system that claims to run on 64 meg of ram....i hate XP...i hate Microsoft...

PurpleSapphire

PurpleSapphire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

XP will use whatever it needs and leave the rest..  I have 512megs and over 350 of it is being used by Windows..  What do you think is being used with just 128 ??

Reduce the aperture setting more if you can..

Murray

View Post

I think don't all of it is being used by Windows otherwise I wouldn't be able to do anything with the computer especially if it needed 350mb just to run. Thanks

Edited by PurpleSapphire, 11 September 2005 - 04:44 PM.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You are right but it does use a large amount of what you have thus limiting the amount available for everything else.. Another good reason to let Windows control the paging file (virtual memory) as well..

Go to Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information..

What does it say in there for total ram and ram available??

My work Win2000 has 512megs of ram and Win2000 is using 290 megs of it with 222 left for everything else!!

Murray

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

how the f can an operating system take up 350mb of ram....thats outragous for an op system that claims to run on 64 meg of ram....i hate XP...i hate Microsoft...

View Post

Why don't you check yours while your at it!!

Murray

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
fresh install, roughly 350 without anything running

i have 1gb of ram...

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

View Post

fresh install, roughly 350 without anything running

i have 1gb of ram...

View Post

So why isn't it only using 64 megs??

Murray

PurpleSapphire

PurpleSapphire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have allowed Windows to control page filing and it still runs just as slow.

Total RAM =128MB
Available RAM = 15.17MB

Total Virtual Memory = 2GB
Available Virtual Memory = 1.96GB

It seems that lowering the aperture setting has helped considerably with a game I've been trying to play, which is heavy on resources. Will the video card be able to pick up extra memory from RAM or VM (if neccessary) if I set the AGP apeture to the lowest setting possible?

EDIT:
I just pulled out the memory and took a look at it. It specifies that it is 256MB (this matches the invoice). So, is there something wrong with my setup or have I been jipped out of RAM from the very start?

Edited by PurpleSapphire, 12 September 2005 - 10:00 AM.