Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Networking--Page Can't Display

• Please log in to reply

jrsummersill

jrsummersill

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
:tazz: Hi,

I just got DSL service through Sprint, which works fine. However I took a generic wireless 802.11b PCMCIA card, that I had from a while back and purchased a Linksys wrt54g wireless router so that I could have my laptop hook up to the net in my room. I seemed to install the router just fine and even configured the card in my laptop (it recognizes my ssid and hex key code and shows a strong signal strength), but when I click on the internet explorer icon it either say this page cannot be displayed or says it is offline. I did make sure that the router is configured to either 802.11b or 802.11g. I seemed to have a very brief moment of service when I first hooked it up, but that was only one time. I am pretty computer literate. if anyone has any suggestions I would sure appreciate it.

Jenny

Advertisements

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Depending on how old the PCMCIA card is, you may have to get a new one. One of the things that is a real pain with wireless is the firmware upgrades that have to be done. The PCMCIA card will more than likely need a firemware upgrade in order to work with the LinkSys WRT54G router..

The other thing you may want to try is detailed in the following Article