Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Java trouble on XP with Office 2000

• Please log in to reply

Serendipity

Serendipity

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Attached File  Error.doc   28KB   23 downloadsAttached File  Error2.doc   126KB   24 downloadsI have Windows XP and can't seem to run Java (a lot of red Xs). I downloaded it from Sun, (J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 4) and tried to install it but it said the install failed. So I went to Add/Remove, and I got the error attached. I can't figure this out and it's making me nuts. I'm not NEARLY a computer expert but it seems like it may be an obvious, forehead-slapping thing. I printed the search so you could tell me how lame I am. I would be SO appreciative if a computer-savvy person could give me a fix.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Perhaps a hiccup during the update? I would uninstall Java, reboot, and reinstall Java. If you feel lucky, try a System Restore to before the update.

Johanna

Serendipity

Serendipity

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Perhaps a hiccup during the update?  I would uninstall Java, reboot, and reinstall Java.  If you feel lucky, try a System Restore to before the update.

Johanna

View Post

Thanks for the advice, but that's the trouble! Every time I try to UN-install it, it says there was a fatal error during IN-stallation. I've tried at least 20 times to uninstall but every time I get the error dialog.

Sigh. So frustrating!

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Then install it over itself. It should overwrite the "old" version in favor of the new one.

Johanna

Serendipity

Serendipity

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I've tried that too. It says that I already have a version installed and doesn't give me an option to over-write.

I give UP! :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the error you are getting is likely due to the hiccup mentioned above, ie, it did not properly install itself.

This is not the best solution, but, install the old MS java VM

http://java-virtual-...t/download.html

This should get you up, then try installing the SUN jvm again