Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive not being recognized

• Please log in to reply

iridium

iridium

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Sony Vaio PCG-Z1VA laptop. This happened sometime in the past 3-4 weeks that the Laptop stopped recognizing the CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive. It does not show up under my computer, but the drive is still functionings as it is, because when I insert a cd/dvd in the drive it spins and does something and the LED on the drive flashes as well. The drive is not being recognized in the BIOS as well. When I statup the computer with a Windows XP installation disk in the drive it spins trying to recgnize it but then boots normally into windows. I even upgraded the BIOS from the Sony website but the problem still remains. The CD drive is not being recognized by the system at all.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Advertisements

iridium

iridium

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
can someone help me out here with this problem please

Zarkahn

Zarkahn

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Check the Device manager and see if its working properly there. The drivers may need updated. Is it intigrated or removable?

iridium

iridium

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have checked the device manager .. it is not being listed over there either. The bios shows the secondary IDE as empty. Its integrated with the laptop, cannot be removed. I tried opening the laptop to check the IDE cable but I could not open it, din't wanna force it as I was afraid I would break the laptop.