Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Odd/random problem

• Please log in to reply

HIM

HIM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I would try that but I do not know how to get to that thru the task manager, seeing as I am unable to see the start button. I can only see my wallpaper.

Thanks for all your help so far.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
In task manager, click on the New Task button and type chkdsk /f

This procedure is going to want to run on reboot so go ahead and type Y and press "Enter" Reboot your machine. This might take a while depending on what it finds...Do Not interupt this operation!

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 11 September 2005 - 09:56 PM.

HIM

HIM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
You told me to do this earlier and it did not work, I doubt that it will work this time. How do I access this system restore thing?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open the task manager...Click on the New Task Button and type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) in the box and press "Enter".

You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour).

wannabe1

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Does pressing control and escape together restore your Start button? Can you get it by tapping the Windows key?

Johanna