Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop won't run windows XP

• Please log in to reply

webdeb59

webdeb59

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I had problems with a IBM Thinkpad that had XP installed on it. In trying to work on the problem I tried to use the installation cd and now the computer doesn't have enough memory to launch anything and continually restarts. Is there someway to remove XP (all copies) and start over?

Please help.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

You should be able to use the XP cd to boot from..

When given the option, pick out the drive you want to install to and then use the option to remove all partitions before installing..

You will then be given the option to pick a drive again, format and install XP..

Murray

webdeb59

webdeb59

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Great, I've gotten the cd to boot and it's asking me if I want to create a partition. Is that a better way to deal with XP?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Yes.. But, if you are trying to clean everything off first, then you want to delete partions first..

Murray

webdeb59

webdeb59

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks, I see now that it's been deleted. My original problem was that XP was installed on the laptop and the computer is an 10 gig hard drive. Once it was loaded, it runs extremely slow. What I really want to do is go back to the Windows 2000 which I have that's an upgrade. Any suggestions?

Thanks again for your help!!!

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
If your Win2000 cd is an upgrade cd then you will need qualifying media in order to do that and XP doesn't qualify !!

To upgrade your system, start the Win2000 setup from the cd within your current OS (Win95/98, WinNT4). To do so, insert the Win2000 cd, and wait for it to prompt for upgrade. That means you need to install Win95, 98 or WinNT4 on the system first!!

Murray