Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformatting Compaq Presario Desktop

• Please log in to reply

miss_t

miss_t

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

I'm not entirely sure if this is the right section for this but I'm hoping someone can help me.

My aunt owns a Compaq Presario SN1000 desktop which had windows XP pre-installed on it. The computer was infected with a virus (I don't know which one unfortunately) and in order to recover data from the machine someone saw fit to attempt to reinstall windows. However when they could not get the recovery cd to work they used a cd from a Dell machine and have activated that copy of windows. (I'm assuming its that copy as the desktop has dell solutions folders etc).

System messages inform that currently windows is unstable as some required system files have been deleted (I assume this was done to remove the virus infection).

They want to competely reformat the PC and have asked me to help, but I'm not sure where to begin. I can't seem to boot from the actual HP recovery CD, even when I select the CD drive as the first place to boot from. Instead the system just continues to load windows as normal.

I have also tried pressing F10 on start up and nothing happens.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I have no idea what to try.

Many thank!

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Does your aunt have the original Compaq installation disks? That is what you will need to restore it to it's original condition. She may be able to get a replacement set from Compaq, or from any of several companies that supply them on the web. You could buy a generic XP disk from Microsoft but you may lose some of your hardware and functions, and need to install drivers seperately for some devices.

miss_t

miss_t

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the quick response.

I know she has the original black and white Compaq "Recovery disk" which is a cd and a few driver cds. Is the recovery disk the one I need? I'm sure that there weren't any Windows installation disk (as it was a preinstalled copy).

I have no idea how to use the recovery disk though, the only computer I've ever reformatted was a very old Dell so i'm completely out of my depth. I was expecting to be given the option, when booting from the recovery disk, to reintall or repair windows or completely reformat.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Hi Miss T,

Welcome to Geeks To Go, my name is Tony.

If you do have a recovery CD for your computer, then just try first with a computer repair, using the cd. Also, if you feel that you might have malware still on your computer Please Click here and follow the instructions carefully.

Edited by Tony_1983, 11 September 2005 - 10:14 PM.

miss_t

miss_t

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Tony,

I'd like to, but I'm afraid I'm not too sure how to do this :tazz: and I'm not sure I'm explaining myself very well, so if just let me know if I'm too vague :)

With the original recovery disk in nothing seems to happen. The PC just continues to load Windows as normal.

I have started it up in safe mode and run a number of the virus and spyware scans suggested in the Spyware forum and so far nothing has shown up. I think its clean just missing a number of the system files as a result and as the Dell version of Windows has been loaded its technically running a pirated version I guess.

I feel like I'm missing the very obvious, I never expected it to be difficult (to get started anyway) and yet, I just cant seem to get it to do anything with the CD.

On start up the Compaq screen lists options (from memory they were) Esc to select a boot device and F10 for system recovery. Pressing escape and selecting the CD-Rom doesn't seem to do anything, windows just loads to the log in screen. If you press F10 nothing happens, again windows just loads.

Am I on completely the wrong track here?

Edited by miss_t, 11 September 2005 - 10:30 PM.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Hey Miss T,

If it says to press F10 for system recovery, do you keep tapping on that key or are you just pressing it once?

Try pressing it continusly untill it gets to where you want it. If that does not work, please let me know.

miss_t

miss_t

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm currently stuck at work (lucky me!) so I won't be able to try again until this evening, but yesterday continually pressing F10 didn't seem to be yielding any results.

Very silly question: but what is the function of the recovery disk? Is it to allow you to load windows as normal or should it be bringing up some kind of menu allowing you to reinstall if you wish?

miss_t

miss_t

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok just confirming, pressing F10 multiple times on start up didn't make any difference, unfortunately XP just started as per normal.

Any ideas?

The help is much appreciated :tazz:

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Hello again, what we need to do is go into Setup and change the boot order to cd-rom first. You do it by tapping a certain key during boot, usually when the Compaq logo comes up, it may tell you on the screen or in the recovery pamphlett. It may be the esc, tab, F1, F2 key or some other. If it doesn't tell you just try those. When you enter setup look for the boot order. Look at the bottom for navigation instructions. You may have to explore a bit to find it. There isn't much harm you can do in setup because when you finish you can go back to default settings and everything will be normal.

When you've changed the boot order make sure the recovery cd is in the drive and exit saving your settings. Then the screen will show you a menu from the cd. Chose reinstall instead of repair if you want a clean install. This is probably best under the circumstances.

Good luck and report back if you have any problems.