Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet connection problem

• Please log in to reply

Luckey

Luckey

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
My friends computer has a network problem. He is connected on a LAN using a router that connects to there cable modem. There connection has worked fine. But today the internet connection on my friends computer stopped. while his roommate's didn't. I checked the status and my friend was sending 61 while recieving nothing. We tried checking the cables and settings and they all seem good. The weird thing is that his roommate who is connected to the same router has a great connection. No problems at all. Any ideas anybody?

Advertisements

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
As a general first trouble shooting step they may want to power everything down for 60 seconds....after 60 seconds start up the cable modem first..then the router...then each PC one at a time....

If this does not resolve the problem..post back

Edited by brianmil0923, 11 September 2005 - 10:21 PM.

Luckey

Luckey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yeah we did that a couple times. Didn't change anything.

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
what is the make/model of the router? have there been any other changes to the computer in question, either hardware or software?? can this computer get online if it is plugged directly into the cable modem??

Luckey

Luckey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
We plugged the cable directly into the cable modem and no change. No software or hardware changes were made. The router is Linksys. I will post details when I get them.

Edit: We ended up just formating his hardrive and reinstalling Windows. The internet works now. Maybe a virus...I don't know.

Edited by Luckey, 13 September 2005 - 12:08 PM.

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
maybe a bad cable