Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

distorted screen

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Compaq 5150, new HD, Win98 - I've been installing the software enhancements that came with the computer. I claim to have been carefully reading and following directions - sometimes printing out, sometimes writing. "Somehow" I now have a little, disturbing distortion of my images. Just outside this writing block is a pattern, very light - a series of dots, a bit smaller than this period. Above this block, where it is a little bit darker, the pattern is more a series of light lines. The grey in the outer edges seems to be OK. The yellow of the smilies seems fine. On my desktop the icons are a good bit larger than normal. The desktop's background image - the Compaq logo - is broken up. Not really distorted but skipping parts.
Sorry, I don't know that even a screen shot (that I don't know how to do) would show up what I'm seeing.

Any suggestions?
bamakodaker

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Updating the video adapter driver from the manufacturers site would be a good move

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Ummm, could you tell me how to verify what brand video card I have? Then I'll check their site for updates for Win98.

Much thanks,
bamakodaker

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download Everest Home Edition here

Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on right for Display / Video Adapter

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable driver for your Operating System

If you are unable to find it, please post the make and model here before you download anything

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I appreciate the suggestion. While reading around in the information I got back after the scan I noticed their suggestions - to increase resolution and color depth for better visuals.
What I did was to go - Start>Settings>Control Panel>Display - Tab for Settings
I set screen area to 800 X 600. Colors I had changed but did something wrong and it reverted to 256 colors. My other options are High Color (16 bit), True Color (24 bit) and True Color (32 bit). I haven't look at any photographic images but so far things look a WHOLE lot better than it had been.

I have NOT downloaded any update for the Video card driver. I initially was looking for that during a reloading of software and updates. As far as the driver - should I adopt the "don't fix it if it ain't broke" policy?

I appreciate the help to those TWO questions.

Thanks for the time,
bamakodaker

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I would go with if it ain't broke don't fix it

Everest will let you know what is on your PC should you need to update anything in the future

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Back to post #5 - first question - - leave color setting as is or would one of the other settings be better?

Thanks,
bamakodaker

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can change the setting to 16 bit then reboot and see how it looks

Post the make and model of the video adapter and I will try and get it's ideal settings

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Well, I thought I could do it myself! I used the link Everest provided. It got me an ATI video player! Couldn't find any drivers. Here's my info -
OS - WIN98
Video card -
Company Name ATI Technologies Inc.
Device Description RAGE LT PRO AGP 2X (English)
Chip Type Mach64LT
DAC Type Internal
Installed Drivers macxw4.drv

bamakodaker

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

https://support.ati....dge&folderID=27

Click Windows 98 drivers and software

Click Rage

Click Rage LT Pro

Click red filename under download

Advertisements

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I greatly appreciate the link. Here is what I found -
Knowledge Base
ATI Customer Care > Drivers and Software > Windows 98 / 98 SE >
No Topics or Subcategories found!
<< Please select a diferent category from the left menu

On the left I followed links and it took me to the video player. It is a separate software, a video player platform called -
Windows 9x/ME Video Player version 5.35.0002.

I know somehow I can go where no one else can get to so if I've done it again, please straighten me out! :tazz:

With MUCH thanks,
bamakodaker

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://fileforum.bet..._9x/955430609/1

Press download now before you get sidetracked :tazz:

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
:) It wasn't that I got sidetracked but that I had to get some chores done. Five days of vacation and I'm at home doing chores and trying to straighten up my computer! yeha

I do appreciate your link - but (of course you'll just LOVE this one!) it came in a zip file, I don't have an unzip program. Which do you recommend? Sure as I choose one I'll find it now compatible or causing problems somehow! :tazz:

bamakodaker

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Edited

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Several points -

I always appreciate the help. I understand you guys are very busy. I SURE understand you can't remember what all is going on in each thread. If you look back to my Post 11 you will see that I had already followed through the ATI site for update. INSTEAD of a DRIVER update, it sends you a DIFFERENT software program. Not a DRIVER put a PLAYER "platform" so you can record or play video. So I already have used the link you sent me.

On my Display settings I changed Color and Screen Area size and images look fine. I went through Device Manager and updated RAGE driver (9-11-2005).

I guess I should call this done.

:tazz: Would you advise of a good UNZIP program?

With much appreciation for your time and advice,
bamakodaker