Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

critical error when connecting ethernet cord

• Please log in to reply

midnightbluS10

midnightbluS10

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I got a stop error about tcpip.sys and now my laptop is hung up. I can't restart, shutdown, or anything? What can I do to restart it besides let it go dead? Thanks

Edited by midnightbluS10, 15 September 2005 - 12:57 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Press and hold the power button and after 10 seconds or so it should go off

midnightbluS10

midnightbluS10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I tried that. I have to wait like 2 minutes before I can turn it off.

And a new problem arised. When I connect the cord from my dsl to the laptop, I get a critical tcpip error immediately and the BSOD. I have nowhere to even start. I tried looking at the minidump and sysdata, but couldn't get any info out of those. Any suggestions? Thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have the installation software, remove the cord then uninstall then re-install the modem software, usually the modem is left unplugged until the installer prompts

To check for a couple of things, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get a blue progess bar, after the bar goes, reboot.

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

This will take an hour, it will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

When it gets to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should

This should also establish whether it is software or hardware at fault

midnightbluS10

midnightbluS10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I couldn't find my XP disk. It's my Dad's laptop, so I have no idea were it could be. I did everything else, and there were 4 or 5 files that couldn't be defragged. They were all in Prgram Files/Micpoint. I tried to delete the folder and got Access Denied. It's not in the Add/Remove list. I couldn't even find anything on the web about it. :tazz: :)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Micpoint is a programme for track and trace for GPRS, if that is the programme here, it was probably intentionally installed and so you should ask before any other attempts to remove it

midnightbluS10

midnightbluS10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I reinstalled modem software and I think all is well, now.